Rude: An Apple A Day

Start from the beginning

In response, she brandished the bright red apple in her hand with theatrical flourish and cried, "Back, demon! I have found your fatal weakness and thus you shall not enter my realm!"

I tried not to laugh as Captain deadpanned. I covered my mouth with both hands, but I couldn't cover my snorts and giggles. Oh yeah, she was definitely the one.

/-/-/-/

Scott's scales were warm

Scott's scales were warm. I traced them carefully. Slowly. He stood out beautifully against my black silk sheets. For the first time in several days, his bandages were also white. I smoothed the lines around his mouth. He caught my hand and kissed my fingers.

"Scottie, baby." I caressed his cheek. His white eyes were still dull and clouded with pain. Mine were hard with anger. When I got my hands on the pirate in the penguin hat, I was going to teach him a lesson in pain.

A knock on the front door brought me grudgingly out of my bedroom and down the short hall. Paul was already letting himself in. "Kaite."

"Being a bit loud today, are you?" I held my elbows and cocked my hips. "That's fine I guess. Are they all still traveling in groups?"

Paul nodded as he stepped passed me. "In twos and threes. They're not very perceptive though." His boots clicked against my hardwood floors, and he flumped into the couch. His bright blue hair, dark navy cloak and gold clasps all looked rather dapper on him, but he did not look very elegant on my deep grey couch.

I pursed my lips. "You're in a mood today."

He quirked an eyebrow. "Three of our subordinates are dead, and Scott's lucky to be alive. Forgive me for feeling like making a little noise."

"It's fine. I just got used to you being a bit quieter." I leaned against the granite breakfast bar, sending the occasional glance through the open bedroom door. Scott seemed to be sleeping.

"Well." Paul set his boots on my glass table, completely ignoring my pointed scowl. "I do have an idea. The Heart Pirates have been rather pleasant to a civilian in town. His name is Channing, and he seems to be an old friend of cute little Andromeda's."

I rolled my eyes. "And you think Trafalgar is just going to let her go trapiazing through town with a civi? I highly doubt it."

"Maybe not just the civi." Paul grinned. "But maybe with him and the mink."

"A real two-for~!" I gasped, excitement bubbling up in my chest. "We'd just need to make that happen. Is he someone we can bribe?" The plan was already taking shape. All we needed was leverage on this Channing guy.

/-/-/-/

The hotel was cheap and worn, but it still gave me a real 'family business' vibe. There was a tiny little loby with a old, wood burning fireplace to the right of the desk with a few creaky chairs and a low table. Behind the desk were row of small cubbies for keys and payments. A long hallway lead to the rooms.