Family time

Tray

It was Friday morning, I had woken up early so I stayed lying in bed reflecting on my week. I was slowly adjusting to this new life. While I missed our home, I found myself enjoying my time here. I enjoyed being able to go to school and socialize with kids my age. I mean sure I had friends back home, but not many and I didn't get to see them everyday. I also enjoyed not having to stress about my duties as prince as much. However, I was worried about everyone back home, not just my family, but my friends and the country in general.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard a small sound that sounded like crying.

Worried I got up and threaded out of my bedroom listening for the source of the sound. I realized quickly that it was coming from Grace and Sarah's room.

Concerned I opened the door to see Sarah siting on the bed, hugging her stuffed elephant crying. I briefly wondered where Grace was before switching to help Sarah.

I made my way over and sat down next to her on the bed. as soon as she noticed me she crawled in my lap and hugged me tightly sobs still wracking her small frame.

"Sarah, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" I asked her as I wrapped my arms around her.

Her answer was so quiet that I barely caught it. "I miss mommy and daddy."
My heart broke as she uttered the words tears still streaming down her face. She was too young to understand what was happening, too young to have to go through this. But she was, and she was suffering because of me.

Part of me rationalized that I hadn't done anything to lead to this. It wasn't my fault that I was the heir to a throne that someone didn't want me to get. But the other part of me said this was my fault, if it wasn't for me they wouldn't be in danger.

"I know. I do to, but we have to stay here for a little while."

"But why?" "Why do we have to stay here. I want to go home."

I sighed. I know my parents had done their best to explain why we were leaving, but they didn't want to scare her. I was worried she wouldn't understand if I didn't tell her a little about what happened.

"Do you remember after my party when I was hurt?" I asked her whipping the tears that had slowed from her cheeks.

"Yeah it was scary. Mommy said you were sick."

I paused trying to figure out how to explain it.

"Well I wasn't sick. During my party someone tried to hurt me really bad. I was able to stop him before it was too bad. But the bad man got away. so mommy and daddy sent us here until they find him so we don't get hurt."

She was quiet for a moment before looking up at me with a concerned expression.

"The bad man can't find you here, can he?"

"No we're safe here. As long as you don't tell anyone who you really are okay?"

"Okay I won't, nobody's going to hurt you!" she said giving me a big hug.

I chuckled and ruffled her hair as she pulled away.

"I'll tell you what. Why don't we have a family night tonight. We can watch movies, play games, or whatever you want to do. Ok?"

"Ok!!" she exclaimed excitedly. Every month our family tried to have a family night. My mom and dad would stop working early and we would just do fun things for the night away from the stress of being the royal family.

Looking down at my watch I realized that it was time to get ready for school.

Just as I was about to leave grave walked in with a towel wrapped around her hair. That explained her absence, she had been in the shower.

Before either of us could say anything Sarah jumped up.

"Grace guess what! Travi said we could do a family night!" she paused for a minuet a mischievous glint in her eyes. "Which means you can't go hang out with that boy you like!" she exclaimed giggling.

"What boy?" I demanded. We had only been here for a week and she already had her eye set on some boy?

"Yeah Sarah, what boy? I don't know what your talking about." she said crossing her arms.

"You know the one that you said -" "Whatever. So what are we doing for family night?" Grace interrupted before Sarah could finish, and I was curious as to what would have come next. Grace had seemed a bit to eager to change the subject and I though I could see a small blush on her cheeks.

"What ever Sarah wants, she's in charge."

"Cool. Now get out! I need to get ready for school, and so do you by the looks of it " she said pushing me out. I just shook my head and went to get ready.

-----

Later I walked into the cafeteria where we go before school starts.

"Hey man." Ethan greeted as I walked up to join them at the table.

"Hey!"

"So Tray, we're going to the movies tonight. Do you want to come?"

While part of me wanted to join my new friends, I had plans.

"Sorry man, I can't tonight. Maybe next time."

"Alright."

"We're holding you to that" Sam asked.

Before we could say anything else the bell rang.

"You ready for class?" I heard Katie ask me.

"Yeah, but I'm more ready for the weekend.

She laughed as we headed to class.

----------------------------------------------

I finally updated!!!!! I'm so sorry that it's been so long. I intend to do better but I'm a senior who is having to fill out paperwork and make choices so we will see. But yeah I will try to keep it updated more!

Hope you enjoyed, let me know what you think.
Comment, vote, feed back!

Thanks for reading!!!!

- lsebourn