3: A Wedding

Saturday came much faster than I had hoped. Sometimes I wonder if dread senses when you don't want to do something, and it comes much faster than if you're looking forward to it.

Dylan came and picked me up. He claimed it was to save money, but I knew it was because I won't drink, and he needed someone to be able to drive back.

I watched the cars as they passed by. It made me feel like a little kid again. Just watching out the window wondering about the adventures I'd have when I got older. Most of those adventures never happened. Was it too late to make them happen?

"If you didn't want to come you could've said so," Dylan said, breaking the silence.

"No. It's alright.  I don't mind." I replied as the rock music played softly in the background.

The rest of the car ride was quiet. Except when Dylan sang that Metallica song. And very off-key.

He finally pulled into a parking space, and we walked in. I was with the guests, and he had to go where the groomsmen were.

After the service, there was a reception. Since Dylan drove I knew I wouldn't be able to leave early, so I made up my mind to pretend I enjoyed it.

Dylan and Sam walked up to me. We talked a little. They were probably drunk, all they did was say a few words that made no sense and laugh like it was the funniest thing in the universe. I faked a laugh, that was when I saw her.

I stared for a few seconds hoping it wasn't that it was just my mind messing with me. I got up and ran the other way.

It was like a big game of hide-and-seek. Except she didn't know, and I was the only one playing. I managed to avoid her close to the whole time.

Until Dylan came up to me and asked me to follow him. He led me to a balcony inside and told me to wait.

Next thing I know he walked in with a girl I didn't know.

And Tatiana.

Her face was a mix of confusion and shame. "Cody?"