Chapter 1

'She's schizophrenic" I hear whipsers. I hear them all the time. I am schizophrenic, that's what the doctors said to me. BUt what they said behind my back was different.

It all happened a long time ago, back in kindergarten. There was a new girl. She just simply showed up for school one day, without any warning or introduction. She sat beside me during our phonics lesson and started colouring her picture of the "S". I looked down at her page and saw her name. Echo M. Burnaby. I said hi. It was best friends at first sight.

I told my mom all about how perfect my new friend was. My mom acted happy. I think she was actually relieved. I hadn't had any friends before, and I always had clung to my mom. Now there was someone else who would have to look after me. To my mom I was just something to look after. My mom never wanted me, I was a rape child. Mom doesn't even know who my dad is.

My mom went to talk to my teacher for a parent teacher interview in grade 2. Echo was still my only friend. My mom mentioned Echo, and my teacher acted all confused, and told my mom there was no Echo in this school. My mom took me to the doctor. He did tests, and told me I was schizophrenic. I didn't get it and he explained that all those voices in my head weren't real and neither was Echo. Then he told me to go to the waiting room.

I stood outside of the doorway and listened. He couldn't tell me that my only friend didn't exist and then kick me out! He was talking in a whisper.

"The tests came back, and we aren't exactly sure what she has. We think it's schizophrenia but some things just don't make sense. Give her this schizophrenia medicine. If the voices go away, then it is schizophrenia, and we shouldn't worry. But please talk to her, and tell me if she still is having problems. We'll give her more tests."

I didn't want more tests. My only friend had been ripped away from me after the first ones. I didn't want to lose anything else . When mom asked me if Echo was still there, I lied and told her that she had gone. And that was it. I can still see, hear and talk to Echo. I've even made more friends. But the difference is now I can tell who's real and who's not. None of my friends are real. Most of them have faded away, and left me in this world all alone. Echo hasn't. I don't even care that she isn't real anymore. She'll be in my head until the very end.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, there's a pic of Skye on the side. Please comment and review!!!!!

<3bettibloop