The Victim

My palms started sweating when my phone started to vibrate. Trembling, my fingers slid over the green phone icon, and I raised the cellular device to my ear. I cleared my throat and managed to mutter a greeting. Nervously, my eyes glanced over towards a man, standing with his arms crossed and a darkened eyebrow rose on his forehead.

            “Can you hold on a moment?” I quietly questioned before holding the phone out towards the man in the tactical vest.

            He looked out the window of the multistory building and towards the ground. On the pavement below a heavier man stood with his own phone pressed against his ear. From this angle I could see a rag in his back pocket. A part of me shivered, just imagining what it was going to be used for if I actually met the man face to face.

            “Hello, is this Clay?” the person using my phone spoke with authority. “This is Special Agent Trent Garrison with the FBI. You have become a person of interest to my task force. And right now, we have your surrounded.”

            My hand pressed up the window as I tried to look further out into the world the heavier man, Clay, was in. Behind multiple cars, agents with riot shields, ballistic vests, and guns approached him with caution. Clay spun around in circles, trying to find a way out. I could only imagine the look on his face. Was it shock, fear, or completely neutral? If only I was a little closer.

            “I suggest you give up without a fight,” Agent Garrison smirked. “You have the right to remain silent, Clay. Still, you hardly deserve your rights with all of the people you’ve slaughtered. Fortunately for us, your seventh would be victim was smart to contact us and record every phone call you made. Instead of her paranoia driving her to kill, it drove her to get her attempted murderer behind bars.” With a swipe of his finger, the phone call was ended. Agent Garrison brought his radio close to his mouth, “Bring him in.”