Prologue

A faint outline of a cat stepped out of the shadows of StarClan. A dark brown she-cat. A dark gray she-cat, almost as old as the dark brown she-cat turned swiftly. "Branchstar." She dipped her head formally. "Mistcloud. Greetings." The dark brown she-cat replied thoughtfully. "What brings you here? You're almost never seen anymore." Mistcloud, the first medicine cat of BranchClan mewed, surprise faintly in her voice. "I have foreseen a great prophecy. I thought you might know how to present to Pineshine. You were a medicine cat after all." Branchstar, who was the first leader of BranchClan asked carefully. "What is the prophecy?" Mistcloud would need to know what it was first. "Three will shine brightly, bring happiness to the clans. They will save the clans from a great danger. They will safeguard the clan. But they will betray the warrior code, each in their own way. They will feel heartbreak and loss." Branchstar recited the prophecy, having already memorized it after saying it over and over to himself. 

"I shall tell Pineshine. Don't worry, Branchstar. But it will be the last prophecy I ever give. You and I both know our time in StarClan is almost done. Good-bye, Branchstar. Wherever we go after, I hope to see you there." Mistcloud turned and padded slowly into the shadows. "Goodbye, Mistcloud." Branchstar mewed quietly, but loud enough that Mistcloud heard the farewell.