5. Once You Go Black, You SO Want to Go Back

Start from the beginning

A tapping noise on a microphone registered in my ears and I looked down to see Mrs. Hawkins behind a podium on the gym floor. No one wants to hear her speak, or at least I don't. Winston stole a glance at me. I waved. Help me, he mouthed. I snickered behind my hand.

"How's the painting going, Ashley?" I asked, trying my very hardest to ignore Winston's pleas.

"Great. I just spent one thousand dollars of my shopping money on painting equipment. I thought it would make me feel... sad. But, it made me feel good, especially when I actually started painting." She smiled, her eyes genuinely happy.

"That's great." I patted her arm.

"Oh! I'm having one of my famous Halloween parties again this year. You two must come, okay?" Anna handed Winston and I black envelops with spider webs along them.

Wear the best costume you can muster and show up, so you won't be a buster. BYOB. Prepare to be scared.

Love and Kisses,

Anna Bear

I bit my lip to hold back laughter. At least the girl can rhyme. "I'll try and attend."

Anna clapped. "Yeah! It's going to be fun, I promise!"

Yes, so fun and the whole school will catch Chlamydia all over again. Mrs. Hawkins still struggled to get the microphone working. Honestly, I hope she takes all day so I can miss all of my classes.

"Are you and Winton together?" Ashley asked. I lifted my eyes from Mrs. Hawkins.

"What? No we are not together. Plus, Anna likes him."

Ashley started laughing. "Anna likes everybody. I've known her since Kindergarten. If a new guy came through the doors right now and told her she was beautiful, she'd go to him in a second. The girl is like a little puppy. Whoever feeds her what she wants; she will adore that person for the time being. If Winston told her he didn't like her, she'd offer to be friends. That's the kind of person she is. She never gets butt hurt over anything. You and Winston... I don't know. It's just like... you two have this special connection that no one really even gets by just looking at you. It goes deep."

I gulped at her words. First of all, she's trying to give me advice. How weird is that? Second, she's talking about Winston? How much weirder is that?

"I don't like him like that. Winston and I are just friends..." My eyes trailed to his and he is laughing about something with Anna. Winston is obviously handsome. He is the smartest guy I know, and one of the best guys at school. The dude is a true gentleman, but he will never be my gentleman. He looked over at me and mimed barfing. I laughed. "We are just friends." I repeated a second time for extra measure.

"Friends make great partners," Ashley whispered.

"Students of Grand Ridge," Mrs. Hawkins yelled through the now working microphone. Never in my life have I been happier to hear her voice. "Today we are gathered to talk about a few certain matters at our school." Well obviously. I rolled my eyes. "We have gone over dress code, and still we have several men sagging, girls half naked. If you want to dress like that, stay home."

"Don't have to tell me twice," Anna shouted out. A lot of people erupted with laughter. Ashley high-fived her.

Mrs. Hawkins shook her head. "Also, there are too many students in detention." Her eyes landed on mine. I sunk in my seat. How did she find me amongst the influx of students? Winston chuckled into his hand. "You need to be in class, stop making childish and petty mistakes and just behave well in school. Profanity is not prohibited, hitting others is not allowed, and disrespecting authority is just not allowed." She glared at me. I swallowed, hard.