Takes One to Know One (Fifteen)

Fingers coming to a standstill yet remaining against Piper's side, Desiree shut her eyes while the not so unexpected revelation rolled through her mind. I killed my father. Well, at least part of it was unsurprising. She figured that Piper must have been accused of something pretty severe to be sentenced to eleven years, so it occurred to her that she wasn't completely shocked that she had taken someone's life. However, she was startled that the person turned out to be her own father.

"You killed your father?" she needlessly inquired, eyes remaining closed.

Piper nodded although the woman cuddled next to her couldn't view it. "Yes, I did."

Raising her head, Desiree looked at her, their eyes connecting. With a small sigh released, she sat up, repositioning until facing Piper seated cross-legged. "Did you do it on purpose?" She had a feeling that his death was deliberate.

With a nervous swallow Piper also sat up, except she scooted backward until her naked back connected with the headboard. Legs stretched out before her, she again nodded, forcing herself to look at her lover. "Yes, it was," she softly admitted. Clearing her throat, she increased her volume. "I had every intention of ending his life." Piper seemed neither remorseful or impenitent.

Before asking her next question, Desiree allowed that to absorb while trying to keep her expression neutral. She couldn't even begin to imagine ending the life of a family member, yet told herself that Piper obviously had a reason to do so. It simply couldn't have been cold-blooded murder. "How...why did you...why did it happen?"

Nibbling on her bottom lip, Piper reached over to place a hand on an exposed thigh, relieved when Desiree neither cringed at her touch or attempted to move away from it. "I'll tell you exactly how and why it happened, but I must warn you that it's explicit. I don't intend to sugarcoat this."

Although her heart began to beat at a faster rate, Desiree assured her that she understood while placing her hand on top of the one languidly stroking her thigh. "I'm listening, sweetheart. Talk to me."

Lowering her eyes, Piper observed the fingers stroking the back of her hand. "My fath--Alan, he would never be nominated for a father of the year award due to being a despicable abusive bastard."

Expression pained, Desiree thought back to the night she had to rouse Piper from that nightmare. "Is that why you dream about him? I remember you begging him not to hurt your mother when you were asleep."

Piper nodded. "I dream about him doing that most of the time. Although the last couple of nights they haven't come because you were with me." Gracing her with an appreciative smile, she squeezed Desiree's thigh. "It's like you're my protector, my shield. I never did thank you for holding me."

Desiree smiled, shrugging. "You would have done the same for me. Plus, I was being partly selfish. I just wanted to touch you," she replied in an embarrassed tone, which caused the other woman to reveal a grin. "What are you grinning at? You look like the Cheshire cat."

"And you look like you need to be kissed." Promptly leaning forward, her lips just grazed Desiree's before she opened her mouth, running her tongue over her lips, silently asking to be granted entrance. Desiree acquiesced and their tongues dueled for space in each other's mouths. As amazing and addicting as that was, she managed to gather enough self control to push Piper away after a few seconds of exploration.

"I'm not that easy to manipulate, Piper." She wagged a finger at the flushed woman. "Tell me what happened. Please."

Piper sighed. "Well, I guess I should tell you." Brow deeply etched in thought, it took her a few moments to continue. "It happened just a few days after I returned from vacation with Taj and his family. In July of 1993. I arrived home from work, walking into what looked like the aftermath of a battlefield..."