Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Memory

"I can show you, if you want," I said, thinking of a particular skill I had perfected at the beginning of the year, with Ginny's help. "I can show you my memory."
"Ok, if you're sure you can do it without hurting yourself, go ahead," Lupin said, sounding confused.
I closed my eyes, concentrating on the memory of the DADA lesson, and on mine and Lupin's energy being transported into it.

"This lesson began ten minutes ago, Potter, so I think we'll make it ten points from Gryffindor. Sit down."

Snape's voice invaded my ears, and I opened my eyes to see Lupin looking around the classroom in bewilderment. It was exactly as it had been during the lesson.
"Ivory, what's—"
"We're in my memory of the lesson that Snape took," I explained quickly. "A little earlier than I had intended, but it'll do."

"Where's Professor Lupin?" Harry said, standing in the doorway.
"He says he is feeling too ill to teach today," Snape replied with a twisted smile. "I believe I told you to sit down?"

"I wonder..." I said quietly, then I suddenly made everything speed up around us, putting it back to normal when we got to the bit I wanted Lupin to see.

"Which of you can tell me how we distinguish between the werewolf and the true wolf?" said Snape.
Hermione's hand shot into the air immediately, but everyone else stayed silent and unmoving.
"Anyone?" Snape said, ignoring Hermione's hand. "Are you telling me that Professor Lupin hasn't even taught you the basic distinction between"
"We told you," said Parvati Patil suddenly, "we haven't got as far as werewolves yet, we're still on"
"Silence!" snarled Snape. "Well, well, well, I never thought I'd meet a third year class who wouldn't even recognise a werewolf when they saw one. I shall make a point of informing Dumbledore how very behind you are..."

I glanced at Lupin, who was watching the scene unfold with a look of fury on his face.

"Please, sir," said Hermione, her hand still in the air, "the werewolf differs from the true wolf in several small ways. The snout of the werewolf"
"That is the second time you have spoken out of turn, Miss Granger," said Snape coolly. "Five points from Gryffindor for being an insufferable know it all."
Hermione went bright red, put down her hand and stared at the floor.
"You asked us a question and she knows the answer! Why ask if you don't want to be told?"

I looked at the words on my hand as the memory version of me said that, tears stinging my eyes.

"Miss Riddle," Snape hissed, stalking over to me. "Detention, my office, six o'clock tonight. And if I ever hear you criticise the way I teach a class again, you will be very sorry indeed. Understand?"

Although I knew memory Snape couldn't physically hurt me, I flinched slightly as he said these words, and the scars on my right hand started to throb slightly.

"Yes, Sir," I said quietly, the fear showing clearly in my eyes.

I quickly pulled myself and Professor Lupin back into the DADA classroom by letting the memory fade to nothing in my mind. My face had gone pale and my right hand was shaking slightly, but I was completely unharmed. I looked at Lupin, who was obviously struggling to contain his anger.

I sighed quietly.
"I should know by now," I murmured, more to myself than Lupin. "I should know by now not to speak up like that. It only makes him angry. But I never seem to learn."
Lupin gave me a sharp look.
"None of this is your fault," he said, his voice full of suppressed emotion. "And what do you mean, you never learn?"
"He — he gave me another detention today." I paused for a second, then added quietly, "Just another scar to add to my collection."

Lupin started to walk towards the door, his hands clenched into fists by his side.
"Sir?"
"I'm going to talk to Severus," he said, and my heart missed a beat.
"N-no, sir, please," I said, my voice coated in fear.
He stopped, but didn't turn around.
"Ivory—" he began, but he broke off suddenly, obviously unsure of what to say.
"If Snape knows I told you any of this... If he knows I showed you the scars..." I gave a little shudder. "He'll tell my mother and father, and—"

Lupin finally turned around to look at me.

I hesitated for a second, then finished in a quiet voice, "—and they'll hurt me. Badly."
"Ivory, you know I can't let this happen without doing anything!" he said, raising his voice a little. "He's torturing you!"
"I'm used to it," I muttered.
"That still doesn't make it ok!"
"Well it's going to have to be," I retorted without thinking. "The last thing I need right now is for my father to be mad at me."
"Ivory, Professor Snape can't be allowed to carry on doing this!"
"I don't care!" My voice was shaking slightly now. "I can't face my parents again!"

"I — but—"
He went silent, obviously unsure of what to say next.
"Please," I begged, tears threatening to spill onto my face. There was a few seconds pause, then I finally whispered, "They'll kill me."
"Fine," he sighed. "I'm still not happy about this, but I won't say anything. Not if it puts you in that much danger."

"Thank you," I said quietly, pulling my sleeve down over my right hand and making sure the scars were completely covered.
"Just tell me if anything like this happens again," he said, and I nodded.
"Yes sir."
"Now I suggest you go and eat," he said. "I'm sure you must be hungry after missing lunch earlier."
I nodded again, pulled my bag onto my shoulder and, with one last glance at Lupin, I left.
That was far too close.

(A/n: I'd just like to say thanks to IzTheUnsociableOne for basically writing loads of the last bit of the argument thingy between Ivory and Lupin because I suck at writing conflict 😂)