Mercer Frey x Reader - Crime

Start from the beginning

"Vex!" I cried. "You have to believe me! I didn't kill anyone!" I struggled against the might of my prosecutor. "Find the place I keep my treasures! Mercer knows where it is!" I was trailing out of her sight as she stood there with her mouth still agape. "Help me! I don't want to die for something I didn't do!"

"Oh shut up." The female hit me across the head with the back of her hand. "I won't be able to take this for the whole work home. If I have to I will kill you myself."

...

And that is how I ended up here. Locked in this cold and barren cell, pressed up against the sharp edges of the stone walls, with my knees pulled to my chest to keep me as warm as possible.

How it all ended up so pear-shaped had me stumped. I was framed, and now I was being unjustly prisoned under the orders of the Imperial Legion. I let a tear slip as I wiped my cheek of its remnants. 

What could I do?

"Your lunch." A guard held out a bowl with a little bread on it."Though I would prefer if people like you didn't get any." I crawled up to him and slowly took the food, though he seemed a little on edge as I took so long to take it."Hands to yourself, sneak thief." He pushed the plate into my hands and covered the cell keys as they jingled on his belt as if to check that they were still there.

"How rude," I whispered as I sat back on the floor and began to dig into the scraps. "Didn't your mother ever teach you manners?"

"I know Thieves Guild armour when I see it." He spat, pointing to my clothing. "You're not fooling anyone." He growled.

"Yes, and I do believe that being a part of our many acquaintances is quite valuable." I eyed him up and down, hoping it would gain his attention. Luckily for me, it seemed to work. "Maybe you would like to join our-"

"Don't think you can barter with me like I'm one of those damned shopkeepers." He grunted, "Remember who has the keys to your cell." He waved them around before strapping them back onto his belt.

"You know," I got up and leant against the bars. "The Thieves guild doesn't have a tie to the army." I smiled innocently. "You could be a very valuable asset indeed."

"Shut up and finish your food. We're taking you to Tullius after you've finished." A female cut in.

I watched as they armed themselves, clearly in fear of what I would do to them. I chewed on my scraps and observed the room. Dim lights lit up the areas where guards resided, and darkness shrouded the cages they kept us prisoners in. It may have been dark but I could clearly see others in the cells along the other wall, and most of them looked at me with the most menacing if glares. 

"Come." They tied my wrists through the bars after I had finished my last piece. "Your fate awaits." The female opened the door and pushed me down through the barracks.

It was a long walk. It felt like the longest walk of my life in fact. I felt as though the corridor just kept on stretching further and further, as though the divines were poking fun at my misery.

"Just a few more hours and I can crawl under some furs..." I heard the male sigh.

"With your weight, I doubt that you'd need furs." I whispered.

"What was that?" He stopped us dead in our tracks, just in the training courtyard, and lifted my face to meet his eyes. 

As I stared into this man's eyes, I felt my blood boil; I felt the rage of everything that has come to pass over the last day or so bubble over to my surface, and I knew that if I were to leave this world in such a manner, I was to go out with a bang. And so, I headbutted him.