Chapter 5

Adrien flipped onto a roof, looking over the city. It had been several weeks since his talk with Marinette, and he loved the scarf she had given him. He watched the Eiffel Tower in the distance, seeing as they turned the lights on as the sun went down. Smiling, he jumped down, starting his patrols. He had decided to start doing some patrols, in order to "keep the city safe", otherwise known as "get out of the house".

To his surprise, he saw that Ladybug was sitting on a rooftop in front of him, looking at the lit-up tower in the distance. He landed on the roof, intentionally making noise so as not to surprise her. She looked over her shoulder, and Adrien was surprised to see that she had a somber expression on.

"Hey, what's up?"

Ladybug slumped her shoulders slightly. "I am just having a slightly rough week. There is... someone at school who really enjoys making my life a living hell. Then, she goes ahead and starts to rant about how she and Ladybug are best of friends. It is not a fun feeling to get compared to yourself, and not even be in the same spectrum."

Adrien sat down next to her. "I understand. My... I have someone who thinks of me like that as well."

Ladybug gave him a side-eye. "Is it this mystery person who you are trying to befriend?"

"No. I haven't actually talked to her in a while. There never seems to be a good time to talk."

Ladybug smiled. "You don't need a good time to talk, Chat. You just have to want to talk. And, I will always want to talk, if you want."

Adrien looked down. "Well, I don't want to talk about things too personal about myself. It might give something away about something I don't want to get out. As you yourself said, our identities are secret for a reason."

Ladybug looked back at the tower. "Yeah. They are." She was silent after that, watching the tower. She turned back after a few minutes. "Well, I'm out here to brood, but what brings you out here so late?"

"I like to do patrols at night. Keep the regular criminals away from the civilians."

"What makes you do that?"

"A few weeks ago, some thugs decided to attack someone when I was nearby. When I went home that night, I did some research, and apparently, criminals like to think that we are only here for the akumas, and are taking advantage of the people who think that we are here to stop all crime. So, I stop what I can do." Adrien looked at the tower. "The problem is, I can't be everywhere. Every once in a while, I like to look at the Eiffel Tower. Remember what it is I am doing this for."

Ladybug looked at him. "And why is that?"

"I am here to fight for the people who can't fight for themselves. The girl I saved a few weeks ago, she was small. I don't think that she really had too much of a chance against the group of large thugs who followed her. She might have had a chance, but I didn't want to take that chance."

Ladybug suddenly had a wistful look on her face. "I think I understand. I... would you mind if I decided to join you on these nightly patrols?"

Adrien looked at her in surprise. "I thought that you have a life to get to at night?"

Ladybug looked at the tower. "I think that I can get away from it when they all think I'm in bed. isn't that how you do it?"

Adrien followed her gaze to the bright tower. "It doesn't really take much for me to slip out unnoticed."

Ladybug looked down. "I see. Well, I am going to join you, if you don't mind. Help keep you company."

Adrien smiled. "Well, I shall see you soon, then."