Chapter 3

"The grounders cauterized the wound. Saved his life." Clarke said. It's day 5 of being on the ground. We've had Jasper back for three days.

"Saved his life so they could string him up for live bait." Finn stated.

"I honestly think he was just a warning." I spoke up. 

"A warning?" Clarke asked. 

"Yeah, think about it. They didn't even try to cover the tracks. They even had a path to get there. They had a poultice on his wound ,they cauterized it. They weren't trying to kill him. I think they were warning us. Whether we are next or they were just showing off what they could do ,I don't know." I explained. 

"That actually makes sense." Finn said. 

"This is infected. He could be septic." Clarke said ,changing the subject from the grounders. Clarke looked over to Monty. "Any progress on the wristbands? Monty?"

"That would be a firm no." Monty told her. 

"My mother would know what to do." Clarke said sadly.

"How's he doing?" Wells asked.

"How does it look like he's doing ,Wells?" Clarke snapped. 

"Hey, I'm just trying to help." Wells told her. 

"Right. You want to help? Hold him down." Clarke said. 

Wells grabbed Jasper's thighs and held them down. Finn started holding down one shoulder as Clarke stuck a knife in the small fire in a bowl next to her. I held down Jasper's other shoulder.

"I'm not gonna like this ,am I?" Monty asked.

"Probably not." I told him. 

When the knife was hot, Clarke started trying to cut away the infected flesh. As soon as the hot knife touched him, Jasper started screaming out in pain. Monty joined us in trying to hold Jasper down.

"Hold him still. I need to cut away the infected flesh." Clarke told us.  Jasper then passed out. 

"Stop it! You're killing him!" Octavia exclaimed ,kneeling in between me and Clarke. 

"She's trying to save his life." Finn told her. 

"She can't." Bellamy said ,coming up to our level. 

Wells stood up. "Back off." He said trying to seem intimidating. 

"We didn't drag him through miles of woods just to let him die." Clarke told him. 

"Kid's a goner. If you can't see that, you're deluded. He's making people crazy." Bellamy told her.

"Sorry if Jasper's an inconvenience to you, but this isn't the Ark. Down here every life matters." Clarke told him. 

"Take a look at him. He's a lost cause."Bellamy said. Everyone was quiet for a moment. 

"Octavia, I've watched my mother heal people my whole life. If I say there's hope, there's hope." Clarke told Octavia. 

"This isn't about hope. It's about guts. You don't have the guts to make the hard choices. I do. He's been like this for three days. If he's not better by tomorrow, I'll kill him myself." He walked back to the ladder. "Octavia, let's go." 

"I'm staying here." She told him. 

He looked at me but I just shook my head. He sighed and went down the ladder. 

"Power hungry, self-serving jackass. He doesn't care about anyone but himself." Monty said. Then he looked at Octavia and I across from him. "No offense." Octavia just shrugged. I didn't respond. He does care ,he acts like he doesn't but he does.