Casting the girl a sympathetic look, Ron took over. "Mate, where were you last night?"

Green eyes stared at him blankly for a few moments, blinking. "Uhm…"

What was he supposed to say, really? He could hear it now: Last night? Oh I was just out with Malfoy. Y'know, that guy we all hate. Anyway, he's a werewolf now, didn't you know? What, me? I'm an Animagus. Sorry I didn't tell you or anything…

Hah. Hardly.

"I'll tell you about it later," he answered finally, glancing pointedly at the other Gryffindors around the table, hoping they'd catch the hint. Maybe he'd be able to think up a story to do with the Order, or a detention gone wrong. Something, for Merlin's sake. He couldn't exactly tell them the truth.

Both looked troubled, but they relented. Easily changing subjects, Ron began to chatter away about the latest Chudley Cannons match, which soon started a friendly debate between him and Seamus. Hermione might have questioned further, but was distracted by Lavender Brown, who sat on her other side and was asking her opinion on something girl-related that Harry instantly tuned out. Satisfied that he was off the hook – if only for the moment – he set about concerning himself with nothing more important than food. God, he was starving…

Reaching for the nearest serving of boiled potatoes, preparing to heap them onto his plate with a generous helping of gravy and some kind of meat, he was momentarily distracted as something tapped his arm lightly.

Startled, he looked to see a small paper shape fluttering down to rest on the bench next to him. It was folded to have wings and a triangular head. Curious, he picked the thing up, turning it in his hand to realise in amazement that it was a tiny paper dragon.

Ron peered over his shoulder. "What's that?" he asked through a mouthful of food.

Harry opened his mouth to respond that he had no idea, when the little dragon suddenly flicked its wings once, twice, and abruptly unfolded, returning to its original form of a simple piece of parchment. Across it flowed six words in elegant, slanted handwriting.

'I want to do that again.'

Harry stared at the message in surprise, stunned by the boldness. Instantly, of course, he knew who it was from, but couldn't bring himself to look up or even anywhere in a certain blonde's direction.

"Blimey, who's that from?"

Returned to reality by the redhead's astonished exclamation, Harry quickly whipped away the note, shoving it into his pocket. He looked up at his friend guiltily, wondering how he could possibly explain Malfoy's blunt statement.

Ron was gaping at him incredulously, having read the message over his shoulder. On his other side, Hermione's eyebrows were climbing.

"Uhm," he said again, intelligently.

"Is that where you were last night?" the witch suddenly hissed, leaning in closer.

Harry stared at her, uncomprehending.

She coloured, gesturing vaguely. "I mean… were you with someone…?"

Ron snorted with laughter, turning away.

Then he understood, and felt his face heat up. Oh Merlin. They thought… they thought he was sleeping with someone? They thought Malfoy's note was from a girl! God, he shuddered to think what those two assumptions implied…

"I – no!" he choked out immediately, the blush he wore belying the hasty denial.

Ron looked both sceptical and impressed at the same time. He was staring at his friend with new consideration, his expression one of surprise. "Harry, you could have told us if you were seeing someone, y'know…"