Chapter 3

"Isn't that a little bit too much?" Swami asked from his corner of the room, making Joshua laugh from his bed. I looked up from my computer as I continued to chew the food in my mouth. My fingers were stained with chocolate, and I had biscuit wrappers around me. 

"No," I said when my mouth of empty before I took another bite of the biscuit in my hand. I watched as Swami rolled his eyes at me before returning his attention to the book he had in his hands. He was studying as usual. Oliver had gone out for tennis practice. It was Saturday afternoon and most people in the residence building were either fast asleep or glued to their gadgets. 

I was talking to my friends at the moment. I had bounced out of the video call for a while to answer Swami's question. I looked at my computer screen, undoing the mute option so I could listen to them again. 

"Beck, are you there?" Otis asked, making me look over to the side of the screen with him in it. He was drinking from a bottle. and his dreadlocks were falling around his face, and not in its usual ponytail. I nodded in response to his question, looking from him to my three other friends on the screen Aiden, Noah, and Riku. 

"When do you think we will all be able to meet each other again? Summer?" Aiden asked, making me look over at him. Otis was older than all of us seeing as he'd graduated from high school last year. I wasn't too sure what he was doing with his life at the moment. His parents were dead, and he didn't like to talk about them much. Noah was in a private boarding school like me, while Adian and Riku were homeschooled. W got to know each other about five years ago when our parents were staying for a week-long holiday for a business meeting at a hotel, and although we didn't live close to each other we stayed in contact in one way or the other.

"If we have to meet in summer that means I'll have to say in my dad's pace. That sounds exhausting," I said, making the four of them laugh. The all knew how I didn't really like my father or his new wife. 

"Then you all can come to my place," Noah offered, getting a handful of head nods. Noah's place was huge. It was more or less a mansion in the middle of a farming city. We all mocked the shitty internet connection there, but his place was the best in terms of space and things to do. 

"How's Oliver?" Aiden asked after a while of everyone talking. He was connected to his drip as usual. He hadn't really been in a stable condition since late last year. We all talked and joked with him even though we saw his condition get worse over time, but it was common knowledge that he didn't have much time left anymore. A handful of years and he would be gone. 

We didn't talk about the depressing things much.

We all had our own share of shit, so we understood that anything beyond depreciating jokes from time to time was something we just didn't do. 

"He's fine," I said, smiling as I thought of my friend that had gone out. Sometimes during the holidays, I'd say at Oliver's place, and sometimes he stayed at mine so they knew him quite well. Aiden nodded at my response, before looking down to do something off-screen. 

"he actually went out to play tennis, but I'm staying indoors because I'm lazy like that," I said, making them all laugh. After an hour we ended the video chat and I put my MacBook away before getting out of bed to do something with my day — mostly studying and talking to my cat. Oliver came back upstairs at five in the evening, and we watched a movie on my bed. 

"Have you spoken to your mum this weekend?" Oliver asked me. I rose my head from his shoulder, trying to blink the sleep away from my eyes.

"No, have you spoken to yours?" I asked, watching him shake his head at me. We were in my bed together, but I was dozing off on his shoulder while he was doing his assignment.