Lonely Eyes

Gunner walked up to the bar to order another beer, and sat down to rest while he waited. He and the rest of the guys were out celebrating a successful mission, despite them all being dog tired. A guy down at the end of the bar decided to light one of those stinky cheap cigars and wave it around.

The bartender started bitching up a storm at him. Gunner kind of chuckled, because the guy pointed out Barney smoking his cigar as well. Gunner didn't hear what was said in reply though, because he was distracted by the woman who walked into the bar as the whiny man was walking out.

She rolled her eyes as a few men, by the door, wolf whistled and asked if she wanted to have a good time. She waved the smoke, from the cheap cigar, out of her face and glanced at her phone. Quickly typing something and placing it in her back pocket, before stepping further in the bar, she started looking around.

Gunner watched her scan the room, before her gaze briefly met his and she walked toward him. She walked around the corner off the bar, declining to give her number to a man that she bumped into. The place was crowded enough that night, it wasn't easy to miss people.

She managed to avoid another collision and slide onto a stool right next to Gunner's. She looked at him to see if he had a problem with it, but didn't receive any protest from him. She called for a glass of wine from the bartender. When he set it down in front of her, she pulled her phone out and looked at it again.

She seemed dissatisfied with whatever greeted her on the screen and sat it down with a sigh. She placed her hand on the stem of the glass and stared at it, as if it held the answer she was looking for. Her green eyes met his again, but she got distracted by another man, asking for her phone number.

"Hey babe, I lost my phone number, can I have yours?" the guy asked.

She laughed. "Nice try! My brother has that tshirt!"

Gunner chuckled and her eyes were drawn back to him. Even though he hadn't been searching for female attention that night. He hoped he could keep hers, he enjoyed the feeling it gave him. He watched her check her phone again and she groaned irritated.

"Bad night?" Gunner asked. Hoping she'd bite, and that he wouldn't be kicking himself later, when he got home.

"You could say that... Came out, on my friends insistence, and got all dressed up too. Mind you, I was just going to lounge around home tonight, in my favorite pajama bottoms and baggie tshirt. And now she can't even make it, because they kept her late at work. And now I'm being hassled by by a parade of drunken idiots. What would you say?" she sighed.

"Well, not all of us are idiots," Gunner defended a little. She smiled and they talked until the small hours, when the bar closed.

A/N: Kind of a cliffie, but imagine what you will.
I have a major crush on Chris Young's voice, however weird that is (but I never claimed to be sane lol). Between him, Clay Walker, Jason Aldeen, Josh Turner, and Brantley Gilbert... Oh my god! I'd die. When I answered the question on Facebook, on which artist you would have sing to you though, Chris Young won hands down. For the sake of the song the girl has green eyes, and for the sake of the story she has a back pocket. The most descriptive I will probably ever be toward the female character's looks.

Lyrics for the chapter.
Lonely Eyes by Chris Young

Tuesday night crowded bar
Some guy lights a cheap cigar
Bartender yells at him
So he walks out and you walk in
Right through that cloud of smoke
Catcalls and dirty jokes
Scan the room a couple times
Find a seat right next to mine

Lonely eyes
Well, it sure looks like
You just might
Be looking for something
For something, whoa
Look at me
And I think you'll see
Those lonely eyes
Don't have to be alone tonight

They analyze your glass of wine
Roll away a pickup line
Now and then they check your phone
Catch mine and let 'em go
From the little bit I've seen
They're the perfect shade of green
Next time they come my way,
Heaven help me, make 'em stay

Lonely eyes
Well, it sure looks like
You just might
Be looking for something
For something, whoa
Look at me
And I think you'll see
Those lonely eyes
Don't have to be alone tonight

Don't make me pay my tab, catch a cab
Go home and kick myself to sleep tonight
Gimme a sign, just a smile
Baby, I'll be glad to lose myself deep inside
Lonely eyes

Lonely eyes
Sure looks like
You just might
Be looking for something
For something, whoa
Look at me
And I think you'll see
Those lonely eyes
They don't have to be alone tonight

Lonely eyes, you don't have to be alone tonight