Is That A Tear

A/N: Sorry in advance... No guarantees on whether or not I make more one shots, but I have brainstormed a couple more Gunner x Oc.

Gunner shouldered open his front door, a black duffle slung over the opposite shoulder. After he closed and locked the door behind him, he tossed the duffle by the couch and ran a hand through his hair. He sighed as he looked toward the phone and noticed the answer machine blinking two messages. It was probably the land lady, bitching about his late payment. He couldn't help that he'd been on a month long op. He walked to the fridge, pulled out a beer, and took a swig before walking back toward the couch. As he passed, he punched the play button on the answer machine and plopped down on the couch, in an ungraceful sprawl.
"Mr. Jensen, you are late on your payment! If you don't have it by Friday, I will have you removed from the building!" came the clipped voice, heavy with a Korean accent.
BEEP!
"Hey Gunner, it's me," came a feminine voice he never thought he'd hear again. "It's been awhile. I'm sorry I missed you..."
"Bitch has some nerves," Gunner groaned as he tipped back the bottle again.
"In case you are wondering, I'm doing great," she said. Gunner rolled his eyes. However, something about the next sentence caught his attention. There seemed to be a slight pause in her voice. I guess... I'll try to catch you some other time... I l-... I miss you. Bye."
BEEP!
Gunner set his beer down on the coffee table with a confused expression on his face. He stood back up and walked back over to push the button on the machine again. He pushed the erase button on the first message, before the landlady's voice could grate on his nerves.
The second message started playing again, but Gunner wasn't listening to the message itself. Rather the emotions in the voice. When he got to the hesitation in the message, it sounded like her voice cracked. He thought back to the last time he'd heard her voice like that.
******************************
"WHERE THE HELL YOU GOING?" Gunner yelled.
"I can't live like this anymore!" she half-yelled back.
"WHAT THE HELL'S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?" Gunner asked.
"I can't stand not knowing if you are coming home! Or in what condition?! I can't stand the fact that as soon as you are here, you aren't really, cause you're shooting up with one drug or another! Or pickling your liver with alcohol! Depending on what you can get your hands on!" she paused with tears in her eyes. "I love you... but I can't watch you do this to yourself Gunner..." her voice cracked.
******************************
A couple months later he ran into her at some cafe. Gunner had only been there cause his coffee pot had broke. And he'd replaced his addiction with a less harmful one.
"Heard you found a new guy," Gunner stated, struggling to hide his jealousy.
"Yeah... His name is Kyle and he's good to me."
"What does he do?" Gunner asked.
"He's a lawyer, he has his own office across town," she replied.
"Hm... Hope he treats you good," Gunner said.
"He is... How are you doing?" she asked.
"Better. Barney threatened to throw me off the team if I didn't clean up," Gunner replied.
"Glad to hear it."
******************************
He was brought back to the present by the machine beeping. He stood there thinking and then picked up the phone. He hesitated for a few more minutes, then dialed a number. He waited and grew anxious with each ring. He heard a "Hello?" at the other end. He paused at the voice, but came to just before the voice asked again.
"Hey Girl. How are you doing?" he rasped out.

A/N: If you have any ideas for one shots shoot me a PM. Here's the lyrics to the song this is based on.

Is That A Tear
by Tracy Lawrence

Last thing I expected,
Was to get her call tonight
Cause the last thing that I heard from her,
She found Mr. Right.
But when I came home this evening,
There it was on my machine
And I'm just wondering
What the hell it means

Said she's sorry that she missed me
And she's been doing fine
I'd run it back and heard her say
Those words a hundred times
Something makes me wonder
Is she happy with her choice?
Or is that a tear I hear in her voice?

First time that I listened
I thought "Boy she's got some nerve"
But the second time I heard it
I heard more than just her words
Am I just wishful thinking?
Or did her voice really crack
I'll never know
If I don't call her back

Said she's sorry that she missed me
And she's been doing fine
I'd run it back and heard her say
Those words a hundred times
Something makes me wonder
Is she happy with her choice?
Or is that a tear I hear in her voice?

Oh is that a tear?
Lord is that a tear I hear in her voice?