Chapter 2 - Partners

POV.STEIN]

~past tense.age 15~

~ 3 days later ~

It's been about three days since the old reaper spoke to me. What was this crap about having madness within my soul? I sighed and walked around the academy aimlessly. Today is the day we choose our partners, so I have to carry around with this stupid 'meister' name tag on me.

I don't need a weapon, i can fight on my own. I'm stronger than they think. I accidentally bump into someone and get caught off guard, not bothering to even look up I mumbled "sorry." and continued to make my way until a hand pulled me back and turned me to face them.

"Watch it freak!" He yelled, I had no clue who this guy was but he wasn't alone, he was a meister from what I could see, and he had someone next to him. A young girl with golden hair, she had a name tag that read 'weapon.' She seemed like a shy soul, who clearly didn't want to be here.

I push the guy off of me and sighed, I was used to being called names, it didn't bother at all, but I hated being touched. "Leave me alone, I don't want to hurt you." I hissed and looked at the girl, she gave me a smile and I looked away, 'people are so interesting...' I thought to myself, she smiled at a complete stranger. Why.?

The kid laughed and looked at me skeptically, "you hurt me!? You don't even have a weapon! "

"I don't need one." I replied dryly. He chuckled and held out his hand out towards the girl, who narrowed her eyes and frowned "Now Marie!" He yelled, and just like that, she transformed into a big golden hammer.

I took my stance, and stood my ground, if he wanted a fight I would gladly give him one. He grinned and charged at me and I was ready to use my soul force on him, but there was a loud 'clank' instead. I looked up surprised to see a red haired kid infront of me, he was all dressed in black and had his arm infront of him, blocking the attack. I noticed his arm was that of a very fine black blade.

[POV.SPIRIT]

~past tense age 15~

"You can't seriously be attacking someone with no weapon can you!?" I hissed at the loser infront of me. How more pathetic can this guy even get? I pushed him away with my blade and placed my hands in my pockets, "now leave before my meister and I kick your ass" I hissed.

"He's your meister spirit??"

I rose an eyebrow and shrugged "yeah what of it? now leave." I noticed his weapon partner changed back to her human form. A very cute girl. 'Damn.' I think, 'maybe I should get a girl to wield me...after all, I do love the ladies.' I chuckle at my thoughts and watch them leave.

"You alright?" I asked turning to the silver haired boy infront of me. He seemed so odd...he wore all white and his eyes had bags under them. We could be total opposites.

"I'm fine, you didn't have to do that!" He said annoyed. I rose an eyebrow, "a simple thank you would do man!" I yelled, 'so much for trying to be a good guy' I think sourly

He narrowed his eyes looked away. "I'm Franken, but call me Stein." He mumbled. I rose an eyebrow at his name but shrugged it off "Spirit, my name is Spirit, I see your a meister." I pointed out.

"Yeah, I'm not interested in a weapon partner. I can't have someone hold me back, I need to graduate as soon as possible and get the hell out of here." He said dryly.

'Hmm...this guy seems pretty determined...maybe he can turn me into an official deathscythe!' I think to myself, This Stein guy doesn't seem to be playing around. And he seems like he could use a friend...

"I want to become a deathscythe as bad as you want to get out of here, how about we pair up? I won't slow you down promise." I smiled holding out my hand.

[POV.STEIN]

I don't even know this guy and he wants to partner up?? I don't need a partner...I don't like people and people don't like me. It's how it works. I take a look at him, and sense that he has a strong soul, he himself alone is a powerful weapon. Maybe...I can use this to my advantage when it comes to missions.

"Alright...fine" I shake his hand, and walk away, "first mission starts tomorrow, don't be late." I mumbled. I wasn't used to working with others, but with his ability and my own, we could probably finish gathering the 100 souls in no time. And that's exactly what I need.

Lords Death warning was in the back of my mind, who was to say if wasn't right? What if I am going mad.? I sighed and placed my hands in my pockets walking down the huge stairs. How can humans put their faith in someone so blindly?