No, no, no.  This is all wrong, the voice inside her head warned.  Heather grimaced.

“Everything alright?” Felix asked, taking a step towards her.  Heather nodded, but didn’t trust herself to speak at the moment.  He smiled.  “Good.  Here, drink some of this.”

Heather noticed for the first time that he was gripping another vial, identical to the one sitting on the silver tray next to her bed, except this one was filled with a liquid that was unnaturally blue.  He handed it to her.

The little voice in her head was going crazy.  Don’t drink it, Heather!  Stop, you idiot!  You’re betraying all your friends!

She shushed the voice.  What harm could a little drink do?  Heather’s throat still felt as if it were the Sahara, anyway.  She grabbed the vial and brought it up to her lips.  Right when the cool liquid was about to enter her mouth, her hand suddenly jerked down.  Heather gasped.

What are you doing? Stop that! She scolded the voice.

Don’t drink it, the voice responded, but it sounded weaker.  Heather figured that moment of control had taken most of its energy.

You can’t tell me what to do!

And you can’t stay here.  This is bad, I can feel it. 

How can you feel anything?  You’re just a voice!  Heather snapped.

No, I’m you, the voice reasoned.  I’m you when you’re not hyped up on Lykos’ potions.

Heather realized she was having an argument with herself.  She shook her head and sighed.  “God, I really am going insane,” she muttered.

“What was that?” Felix asked.  His icy blue eyes searched hers.  Heather wondered if he suspected what was going on inside her mind.  Before the voice (or, whatever it was) could take over again, she quickly downed the blue liquid.  It slithered down her throat and tasted like cough syrup.  Felix smiled coldly, and said, “Follow me.”  He turned around and walked briskly out the door. Heather scrambled after him.  They walked down a white hallway for a while before Heather said something.

“I’m sorry for, y’know, killing you earlier,” she said, waiting for the voice to pipe up.  It didn’t.  The voice had mentioned Lykos’ potions; she wondered whether it was the case that the more potion she drank, the more the voice stayed quiet.

“No worries.  You weren’t under the, ah, correct influence,” Felix responded as they continued down the hall.  Heather wasn’t entirely sure what that meant, but she didn’t ask.

“So, what is this place?”  Heather wondered, as she tried to sneak a glance into some of the rooms they were passing.

Felix smiled.  “It’s one of Lykos’ buildings.  He has them scattered all across the United States, even a few in other countries.  He graciously allows Mordans to stay and train here.  There are some lovely facilities here, like an open gym, a day spa, and even a fine restaurant downstairs!” 

Heather nodded.  That sounded fun!  She could stay here forever.  Never worry about the Kidellians ever again.  She liked the sound of that.

Felix suddenly turned into a room to their left.  Heather stepped into the room, which looked identical the one she’d just been in.  The only difference was that there were several sharp-looking tools sitting on the silver tray table instead of the vial.

“What are we doing in here?”  Despite her trust in Felix, an uneasy feeling settled in her gut.

“Nothing to worry about,” Felix said.  “We just need a little bit of your blood.”

Heather blinked.  “Um, what?”

“As Damien might’ve told you,” Felix began, uttering Damien’s name with disgust,  “Lykos is not entirely immortal.  His brilliance in potions has gotten him incredibly close, but he could still be killed.  However, there is a way that he could become one hundred percent immortal.  He would be unstoppable.”

“I’m not following,” Heather said, scrunching her eyebrows together.

“You have some very powerful blood in you, Time-Bearer,” Felix said, his blue eyes glinting underneath his shaggy black hair. 

Suddenly, it clicked.  “My blood would make Lykos immortal.” Felix nodded.  “That’s what you meant at the gym, when you said the connections were the least of his worries.”

Felix nodded again, a mischievous smile on his face.  “We tried taking a sample while you were unconscious, but apparently the blood wasn’t as potent at that time.”

Heather was suddenly very aware of the adrenaline coursing through her veins.  “Do you need all of it?” she whispered.

“No,” Felix assured her, “just most of it.  You’ll still be alive, but barely.  You’ll lose your ability to control time and the basic Kidellian powers.  But think about it.  Lykos will be immortal!  He can finally get the power that’s rightfully his.”

Rightfully his?!  What an idiot, the voice snapped, back from whatever hiatus it had taken.  He’s just jealous of Damien.

God, would you just go away? Felix is my friend!  He saved me!  And Lykos is the good guy!

Listen to me, Heather.  Don’t do it.  You’re only even considering this because Lykos drugged you with his potions.  Any minute, the other Kidellians will be here and you’ll realize your mistake.  You can’t do this, it pleaded.  Heather closed her eyes.  For a moment, she considered refusing.  She could tell the voice was hers, so why shouldn’t she listen to herself?

She shook her head and clenched her jaw.  What was she even thinking?  She had to do the right thing.  Heather looked at Felix.  “Okay.”