Chapter 2

The morning came with much yelling and squawking. Firstly, from the chickens when Cecelia headed out in the morning to tend to them. Then, later, when Edel saw the sight of her skirts.

"Mud! Mud on your skirts! For goodness sakes child, we are going to the royal palace not a scullery! Change that mess at once! I'm trying to get my daughter a husband, after all!" And she beat Cecelia back into the kitchen with her skirts.

Cecelia bit back her tongue to avoid pointing out that if Edel wanted her skirts to remain clean, perhaps she shouldn't assign her so much yard work. And if she wanted her to have a ready supply of clean dresses, she should give her more then the two smocks she was allowed.

Nonetheless, Cecelia kept her mouth shut and retired quickly to her room, where she did her best to scrub off the excess mud and chicken droppings into the washbowl. There wasn't much, and her other dress had already been packed, so this would have to do for now.

By the time she returned to the main hall, Edel was too busy yelling at the poor carriage boy who had been sent to fetch them to notice the hem of Cecelia's dress.

"What do you mean my husband isn't with you? He said he'd be coming to accompany us to the palace!"

"I am sorry ma'am," stuttered the carriage boy nervously. "But as I have already said, Master Igor was caught up in a meeting with the king and could not make it. He will be waiting for you at the palace, however, and I assure you I can get you and your daughter to the palace safely."

Edel 'humped' rather loudly and spun away from him to yell at their butler, who was heaving a trunk nearly as large as himself into the back of the carriage.

"Mother! Mother!" shirked Astrior, dashing down the front steps of the house. "Have you seen my eye charcoal? I cannot find it anywhere! I am simply beside myself!"

"No no dear, of course I haven't. Why would I have it?"

"Well who else could have taken it?" cried Astrior, near to tears. With a dawn of realization, she suddenly turned onto Cecelia. "You, girl. You were packing my bags. Did you pack away my eye charcoal?"

Cecelia took a step back from Astrior's accusatory stare. Quickly, she tried to think back to her packing. "I do believe I put it in your traveling case, m'lady."

"You fool!" exclaimed Astrior. "I had specifically left that case on my desk so I could complete my look before departure! Now I am going to be making one of the most important meetings of my life, and I am going to have dull eyes while I do it!"

"There, dear, you mustn't fuss, you'll ruin your curls." said Edel soothingly. "You can unpack and apply it as soon as we arrive. But we mustn't take time to unpack now; it will do no good to appear tardy." And throwing Cecelia a scathing look, Edel led her beloved child into the carriage.

Cecelia sighed deeply, dreading her ride beside those two in the cramped carriage.

After helping the butler secure the bags and assuring everything was tidy and safe for their trip, Cecile mounted the carriage as well, and tried to make herself small against the back of the carriage. Edel and Astrior ignored her the entire ride, gossiping amongst themselves about gowns and the best ways to catch the prince's attention.

Cecile was quite happy to be left alone, as she usually was. She used the time of peace to stare at the passing countryside. They passed mansions every so often, interspaced with more moderate dwelling places for the lesser folk throughout. The noble manors grew in size and embellishment as they grew closer to the palace.