Chapter 3 - The Message

Start from the beginning

"Everyone knows what you did. If you don't walk away right now I'm going to tell the principal that you started this." She said to Tia, right up in her face.

"Fine. Let's go Danny. I'll see you girls later." She shot evil looks to me and Katie before walking away. Danny didn't follow her though.

"I'll uh, I guess I better go." He looked at us and then looked at Tia who was walking away from the scene.

"You don't have to do what she says you know." I said to him.

"I know...Katie I wanna talk to you later if you have time." He looked at Katie.

We all looked at Katie waiting for her response. "Um sure."

"Great, uh I better go." He ran away from us to catch up with Tia. Now our attention was on Angel.

"Thank you so much. Now what the heck are you doing here?" Katie hugged her sister.

"I don't have any classes today and mom told me you guys were picking up Sasha later, I couldn't miss that."

The bell rang, ending our reunion with her early. Angel said she was heading back to Katie's place and would see us after school.

Katie's POV:

I walked out of my last class for the day and waited in the hall for Emily's class to be dismissed so we could take the bus together. Danny was in my class so he followed me out and sat next to me on the bench.

"Hey again." He smiled at me.

"Hi, are you sure Tia won't be pissed that we're talking again?"

"Nah I don't care." He looked in both directions for her just in case. Clearly he did care.

"So...what did you want to talk about?"

"I um, I guess I wanted to ask if you would like to go to the dance next month?" He looked at me nervously.

"Oh, wow, um...no one has ever asked me to a dance before." I chuckled and looked the other way. Why did he have to make our relationship awkward by doing this. We were good friends, I didn't see him in that way...

"You're beautiful, why wouldn't anyone want to talk you?" He smiled at me again and I blushed. Shoot, why the hell am I blushing...

"I don't believe that but thanks."

"So will you go with me?"

"Yeah I guess so."

"That's great!" He jumped off his seat and I laughed at him. "I mean uh yeah, that's...I'll um, I should go now before this gets weird."

"I think it already is." I laughed at him again. He was a funny boy but still really sweet when he wasn't around Tia and the other popular kids. The bell rang indicating Emily's class was dismissed...which means Tia would also be coming out soon.

"I'll text you later tonight maybe?"

"Sure." I stood up next to him and he walked away quickly to his locker. It's a shame everything had to be so weird like this.

"Hey so what did Danny want?" Emily appeared next to me, startiling me slightly. I don't know how she did that, I didn't even hear her coming.

"Oh he um..." I started talking as the two of us walked out the door together. "He asked me to go to the dance with him next month." I think I gave her a weird look when I said that.

"Really?" Emily half laughed at me after I told her that.

"What? What's wrong with that?"

"Nothing." She looked down at the sidewalk and then at me again. "I just can't really picture you two as a couple."

"Yeah I can't either." I looked around desperately wishing we could change the subject off this. Wait, where's our bus? "Aw crap did we miss our bus?"

"Looks like it." Emily looked around as well. "I'm sorry, I guess my class ran a little late."

"It's fine, fresh air is healthy." I said and we continued walking down the sidewalk. I got a sick feeling in my stomach suddenly. I checked my phone to make sure everyone was fine and I didn't have any messages. Just then some of the cheerleaders walked around us and there was Tia, stopped in front of us blocking the sidewalk.

"So Danny asked you out huh?" She looked at me. I could hear Emily sighing loudly and how stupid this was. Or rather how stupid she was. Let me guess, he's the only one she hasn't slept with yet...

"Why are you making a big deal out of this?"

"It's not Katie's fault that Danny would rather go with a real girl than some beach blonde Barbie..." I glared at Emily as the words came out of her mouth. Giving her an 'ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FREAKING MIND, WOMAN' look.

The other cheerleaders standing around her made overly dramatic shocked faces before Tia fought back. "F.Y.I. this is my natural hair color."

"F.Y.I. That's the only part on your body that isn't fake." Emily grinned back at her before one of her cheerleaders leaned forward to slap Emily.

"Can you ever keep your mouth shut?" I glared at Emily as the two of us ran in the oposite direction.

"I'm sorry! I couldn't help it, she's such a bitch." We ran as fast as we could and before long it seemed like we lost them. We weren't going back in the way we came from just in case, so we took the long way around town to walk back home.