"Why?" Lettie asked.

"It was our little way of escaping that world. We first climbed that tree when we first attempted to escape years before. When we were almost caught, we stayed up there until the sun rose. At the top of the tree, we felt free of the world we knew,"

"By the time we came down," W.D. said. "Our overseer caught us. We were brought back to our home, we were whipped. They didn't stop there,"

"They decide when the slaves are old enough to do more difficult work. When they do, the slaves were branded on the right shoulder for men and the right hand for women. The initials were all the same, D.W."

W.D. unbuttoned the top of his shirt and pulled down the right sleeve. It revealed a faded initial in cursive letters. Everyone gasped, not being able to imagine the pain he felt.

"They branded W.D. that day," Anne sighed with tears flowing down her face. "Our mother watched, knowing she couldn't do anything to stop it."

"That didn't stop us from leaving. We still went to that tree, which improves our climbing skills, seeing the sunrise at least once a week. We would continue to pick the cotton, and the baskets were weighed when we finished,"

"After we picked the cotton, the baskets were weighed," Anne continued. "I began to pick fewer and fewer each day, and my master noticed. Usually, we were whipped for each pound we didn't pick from the previous day, but Master Derek had another plan for me,"

*********************************

**Flashback, 1835**

Eight-year-old Anne and twelve-year-old W.D. finished picking cotton for the day with their mother, who was known best known as Lunah. The two and the other slaves were in the barn, the baskets of cotton being weighed. The overseer, Master Jonathan, hung the baskets on the scale, telling the owner the weight and the weight of the previous day. Master Derek walked around the workers while they looked down, ignoring his cold stare.

"Anne, 285 pounds," Master Jonathan said.

"How much did she have yesterday?" Master Derek asked.

"290 pounds"

"And the day before?"

"305 pounds"

Master Derek stood in front of Anne, who didn't make eye contact. The girl knew she hasn't been very focused lately, but she would always slow down her work when she thought of her freedom. She glanced at her brother, who picked a couple more pounds of cotton each day.

"Look at me," Her master demanded. Anne hesitated, making Master Derek furious. He grabbed her by the chin, making her whimper.

"You little nigger! You think you're getting away with this!"

"N-no, Master Derek," Anne stuttered. Over the past few days, she was whipped. It left terrible scars on her skin. She'd wince in pain, making her take a bit longer to do the work each day. She somehow knew this time something was different.

After a moment of silence, Master Derek grabbed the child's arm and dragged her outside, where a few of other slaves were doing their work. He demanded everyone to come, including his family. He tied the child to the wooden log in front of the slave quarters. He made sure the rope was tied tightly, then took a step back. Anne noticed a fire burning nearby, where Master Jonathan was beginning to heat a rod.

Everyone knew what it was for. Nearly all the slaves, including Anne's family, had the two letters on their shoulder or hands. When the slave has reached the age of 12,