to risk your life

november 1987
hawkins, indiana

(enjoy this kinda angsty one shot)

knock knock knock
knock knock knock knock knock
knock knock knock

el looked up, using her powers to open the front door and she ran up to it, to find her ebony boyfriend standing outside, waiting for her.

"mike" she breathed, wrapping her arms around his waist and snuggled her face in his chest.

the day felt cold, she was looking forward for this, to hug him and to feel warm after all she'd been through that day.

only, mike didn't hug her back.

he just stood still and el looked up to see him with a straight face, not looking down at her. he looked pissed. very pissed.

"w-what's wrong?" she asked softly.

"can i come in?" he said, coldly.

once they were in, there was a silence. not the usual silence they'd enjoy, the one where they're cuddled up or sitting together, enjoying each other's presence. she had no idea why he was acting like he this and she was losing her patience.

"hopper told me you went to the lab" he said, not looking up from his feet.

oh.

shit.

"mike, i-"

"why, eleven? you know what could've happened" he raised his voice, looking up at her.

he didn't look mad, he looked hurt.

"i know- mike. i know. i just- there was a light. i had to make su-"

"i don't care!" he yelled and she jumped, "what if they saw you? what if brenner saw you?"

"papa is dead" she said firmly.

"we don't know that!" he sighed, frustratedly, running a hand through his dark locks.

he never acted like this. he always gave her the freedom and support on what she did, until now. that's why they were together. that's why she liked him (one of the reasons).

"why are you acting like this?" she raised her voice.

he laughed and looked up, "are you really asking?"

"yeah!" she chuckled, waving her hands in the air.

"you promised i wouldn't lose you again, jane!" he dropped his hand.

he never calls her jane.

"you won't!" she took a step closer to him, screaming the words.

"that could've changed when you snuck out and went to the lab last night!"

"i was fine! i can take care of myself!"

"i know you can! but what if something went wrong? what if they captured you? i don't know what i'd do if that happened!"

"what if there's still people in there, huh? what if papa is doing something in there?" she yelled.

"that's none of your business right now! you have to be safe! he's not your papa anymore. hopper is! you should've told him, or even me and- and i would've gone myself!"

"this is none of your business either, mike" she crossed her arms.

"but it is!" he raised his voice again, "you're my girlfriend! if brenner is in there, he could've caught you!"

"stop saying that!" she screamed.

"it's the truth! you're so focused on that fucking lab that you forget about me! about us! you're family!"

"i do not! you are always in my mind and you know so!" she raised her hand, pointing at him.

"then why do you risk your life?" he howled.

she groaned loudly, her head was starting to boil up.

"stop talking" she mumbled.

"no! you have to stop-"

"STOP TALKING!" she cried, "STOP WORRYING ABOUT ME SO MUCH!"

his eyes widened. that was it.

"HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO STOP WORRYING ABOUT THE PERSON I CARE ABOUT THE MOST"

and then everything was a blur. she remembers she screamed loudly, really loud. she fell to the floor.

every single glass in the room broke, and mike's first instinct was to run to her and wrap his arms around the small girl, to prevent any crystals from hitting her.

"el! el! are you okay?" he looked down at her once the room became silent again.

she looked up at him, her nose was bleeding and her eyes widened.

"mike" she touched his face, "you're bleeding"

he had a large cut on his cheek.

"i'm fine" he grabbed the hand that was on his face, "are you okay? your nose is bleeding, god, wait let me get a tissue-" he looked around, standing on his knees, and was about to stand up when-

"mike"

"yeah, wait a second-"

"mike! you're hurt!" she raised her voice a little, placing a hand on the side of his face so he was looking at her.

he always did this. he never cared about himself, didn't matter what he was going through, didn't matter his physical or mental state. mike was always looking out for her, caring about her only.

"i'm sure it's just a little scratch" he said, his voice returned to the soft one.

she looked around, "god your hands too. they're full of scratches".

he looked down as she took ahold of his hands, she was right. she brought them up to her lips, softly kissing them.

"god i'm so fucking selfish" she shook her head.

"you're not! you were just... mad" he said immediately.

"yeah, but you are right. i shouldn't have gone there by myself" she sighed, rubbing her forehead with the palm of her hand.

"i'm sorry" she looked up at him with teary eyes.

he sighed, pulling her to his chest, wrapping his arms around her.

"i'm sorry for screaming, i shouldn't have told you that way, i just- i was scared of what could've happened and i got carried away"

she shook her head, "you were just trying to protect me" she mumbled against his chest.

"you don't need protection, el"

"not physically, but sometimes i can be really balky and forget about the risk i'm taking"

he brought a hand to the back of her head, he softly pulled her away a little, so he could see her face.

she was almost crying, he could tell, but he brushed it off. he wiped away the blood from her nose with his thumb and pecked her lips softly.

"just promise me you won't ever do something that crazy without telling me about it first" he said, forehead against hers.

"i promise"

-

phew that was a lot. anyways i loved the concept of mike protecting her from the crystals if she ever got mad and broke the glass from the cabin again, i think it's accurate and i totally see mike doing something like that.

i hope you enjoyed and i'm sorry for the delay!! it was a hell of a week and i'm happy it's over i'm so tired lol.

if this was too angsty for you (or not) dw cause a fluffy one shot is next so be ready.

as always, love you all !! xx