No replacements (7)

Start from the beginning

“You sound so different, it’s been a while.” He said as if I didn’t know.

“Yeah, awhile.” I agreed.

After a minute of silence he spoke. “Is your mother home?”

“No.” I said quickly.

“Well when will she be home?” He asked sounding annoyed.

“She died.” I said now wishing he hadn’t asked or called.

“Oh Rosa I am so sorry. It’s been years I would have never thought she’d pass...” He paused.

“She died yesterday, when you called actually, exactly when you called.” I said thinking how weird it was that he called exactly when she was attacked.

“Oh well I um should be home later tonight. Bye.” He said without another word. I hung up the phone and headed back to the kitchen. Was that all he really had to say? And why the sudden interest in coming home?

“Who was that?” Trent asked while scarfing down a bowl of ‘froot loops’.

“Marcus, I mean.” I shook my head. “My father.”

“The guy who left the message? What does he want?”

“He’s coming home, tonight.” I said.

“Should I leave then?” Trent asked.

“No! I mean please stay.” I said quickly, Trent simply nodded with a grin upon his face.

At school Trent hovered even more than the other days. Every time I walked down the hallway people would hug me and say they were sorry for what had happened. I suspected that I would need to hold a funeral, but I just didn’t want to see her like that. I didn’t want to accept the fact that she was dead.

“Rosa, I’m sorry to hear about your mom. She was a great dance teacher and person.” Janice said to me during class.

“Thanks, I, I appreciate it.” I tried to say. She nodded and looked at the chalk board writing down the note. She looked back over at me, “If you need anything I’m here for you.” She said sweetly, I nodded hiding my emotions. Janice seemed to be acting so nice to me, I miss our friendship. The rest of the class we talked about Chad this guy she has a crush on. It was the first time in years we had actually been friends. When we walked out of class laughing her friends gave us a dirty look.

“I have to err go.” Janice said as she avoided eye contact with me. The Barbie girls stared me down until Trent came and blocked their view.

“I’m just going to run to my house after school to pack some things then we can go to your house.” He said and swept me into the parking lot. I climbed into his car and we were off.

“Trent’s house was an older home. All stone and wood logging, I found it so beautiful, it was just along the woods not far from my house. He ran inside while I waited in the car. When he came back he was holding a duffel bag packed with clothes. I think that Trent was spending more time with me than when we were dating. “Alright I’m good for a few days.”He said jumping into the driver’s seat.

When we pulled into my driveway there was still a place marked off where my mother had died and her car untouched (besides the door being shut). Also in the driveway was a car I did not recognize, a red convertible. Trent of course insisted he’d go inside first; it was only Marcus---my father. “Rosa!” He exclaimed when he saw me. He opened his arms wide I soon realized he wanted a hug. After and awkward minute of hugging he asked how I was. In my mind I said nothing my ex is a werewolf that attacked me, my mom is dead and you are here acting like you never left.

“Sorry. How about you introduce me to your...” He wanted me to fill in the blank.

“Boy--.” Trent and I said simultaneously and then said “friend, he’s my friend.” My father nodded. “Trent my father, father my, I mean Trent.” I said as they shook hands and did whatever guys do.

“Rosa I’ve arranged your mother’s funeral for two days from now. I need you to call all the people who will be attending.” He said calm.

It was as if he knew everything and what needed to be done or dealt with. “Alright I’ll call some people.” I said eyebrows crushing together in confusion.

“He’s acting weird.” Trent said after I called people, I nodded in agreement.

“Rosa, Trent! Dinner!” He yelled from the kitchen. Something was definitely wrong.

The entire half hour of dinner was silence until I asked the basic question anyone would ask if their dad left and came back. “Why are you back?”

He was taken back and his bronze eyes became strong. “Excuse me?” He said more demanding than it should have been a question.

“I said why are you back. There must be a reason.” I stopped and Trent’s eyes followed mine to Marcus.

“I came back because I miss my family--.”

“The one you left.” I spoke loudly.

“I didn’t leave for whatever reason your mother told you. I left because of work.” I rolled my eyes yeah OK I’ll pretend to believe that. “And once you said your mother was dead I knew I had chosen a perfect time to return.” He sounded too happy when he said ‘perfect time to return.’

“But what there were no phones at “work” you couldn’t pick up a phone and explain? Dad you left five days after I was attacked!  FIVE DAYS!” I began to yell.

“I’m sorry I needed to.” HE said looking down.

“No you didn’t! I needed you, needed you to say that everything would be alright. But you left without a trace just a letter saying goodbye. Mom was there for me.” I said tearing a little.

“I’m here now.” He said placing a hand on mine.

I retreated. “You can’t replace her. Just ‘because she is gone does not mean you can take her spot.” I said and stormed off into my room; I blasted ‘Paramore’ and ignored anyone who came to my door.

♣♣♣artist1923♣♣♣