Forever and Always (Sophia/Kenjie)

"Kenjie, asan ka na ba?" Sophia sighed for what felt like the nth time that night, as she nervously tapped her fingers on the wooden dining room table. He was suppose to be home at 7 p.m., but three hours later and Sophia still had not heard from her boyfriend.  

She dialed his number, but once again, the phone went directly to voice mail. Sophia pulled at her hair. "Kenjie naman eh..." She walked outside of the apartment and made her way down the stairs, waiting by the drive way. Five minutes. Ten. Twenty. Still, no headlights, no car appeared. 

Sophia sat down the sidewalk, and as if by chance, her phone loudly sounded. Without hesitation, she answered, not even bothering to look at the caller ID. "Kenjie?!" She half-yelled. The voice, cold and unfamiliar replied a no. "Ikaw po ang nasa emergency contacts ni Mr. Valenciano. May nangyari po sa kanya. Nasa E.R. po siya currently dito sa St. Luke's. Please come ASAP, ma'am."

And that was enough. Three short sentences were enough for Sophia to quickly recompose herself and make her way to the garage and into her car. "God Kenjie, no. What did you do..." Sophia continuosly thought to herself, silently praying to God that her boyfriend was okay - that he was stable. 

As soon as she arrived at the hospital, Sophia quickly rushed to the E.R. "Kenjie Valenciano. I need to see him. Now," she emphasized the last word. The lady at the front desk nodded and stood up, motionining for Sophia to follow her. She swore to god that the hospital was not this big. Why was it taking them so long to get to Kenjie?

When they finally reached the room, a doctor in green scrubs exited the door and stopped Sophia from going inside. "I need to see him," she simply said, making her way around the doctor, but her efforts were futile as he reached across and blocked the door. 

"Ms. Guinto," the doctor said in a gentle voice.

Sophia feel her stomach do flips. Although she hadn't finished Med school yet, she knew enough medical etiquette to know that this man did not stop her to deliver good news.

She braced herself. 

"Ms. Guinto?" She nodded, acknowledging her name. 

"I'm sorry, pero he's not going to make it."

She still felt the impact hit her full-force. 

She nodded for the doctor to continue, unsure of what to say. "Naaksidente po siya sa high way. He was about to switch lanes towards the exit pero may truck po that was speeding. Natamaan ang likod ng kotse ni Mr. Valenciano." Her eyes widened, her hand automatically going up to cover her mouth. She could feel the tears threaten to fall from the corner of her eyes. "How bad?" 

The doctor sighed and she felt her heart stop for a while. "He's alive and breathing, pero it won't last long. Hindi na namin iooperate. Hopeless case na po siya." 

Furiously, her hands formed knuckles. "At who are you to say na hopeless case na siya?!" Sophia yelled, tears running down her cheeks. "I want you to do everything possible to save him. Doc, please."

"Ms. Guinto, kung i-try man natin, St. Lukes does not have the official equipment for the surgeory he would need. We would have to air lift him, which will only put Mr. Valenciano in more danger." 

Sophia stared at the doctor, as if unable to comprehend his words. But she understood very well, she just did not accept it. She wiped the tears that continued to fall down her cheeks and took a deep breath before entering the room.