Chapter 49

HARRY

I sit out on the screened in patio by myself for an undetermined amount of time, mulling over Hayley's words. How could I have fucked everything up so badly? I had a chance to possibly fix things, or at least start to. But she was right, about everything. I couldn't say that to her, though.

I don't even notice darkness falling around me until the screen door open's and Mrs. Reid pops her head out. "Harry, sweetie, I'm going to bed. You're welcome to sleep on the couch, but I think the basement suite is available. Hayley hasn't left Ryan's side."

"Thank you," I tell her. And for the first time that I feel like saying something else, I actually do. "Mrs. Reid, I am so sorry."

"Thank you Harry," she says softly. "It means a lot that you came here, you know. Hayley is a stubborn one and she is stronger than she looks, but she needed it more than she will ever admit." She appraises me from the doorway. "She'll come around, Harry."

"Thanks," I mutter, hoping she is right. I make my way inside shortly after her and turn toward the basement, dragging my light suitcase behind me. I pull off my shirt and jeans before turning the knob on the downstairs bedroom door. But the room is occupied.

Hayley sits on the bed, leaning against the headboard with the covers over her legs. The bedside lamp is on and she is sitting up, nose in a book. She is so engrossed that she doesn't even notice me enter the room. I stare a little too long without alerting her to my presence. With her loose t-shirt on and her hair tied up with strands falling down around her face, she is so classically and naturally beautiful. I have never seen her like this, so simple.

I clear my throat, and she looks up, startled. "Sorry," I say. "Your mom said this room was open." I back slowly out of the room and make to shut the door behind me, but Hayley stops me.

"Wait," she says. I step back into the doorway. "Where are you going to sleep?" She asks.

"Probably on a hard-ass couch," I lightheartedly tease, remembering our similar exchange months ago. And despite her anger at me earlier, I see the ghost of a smile on her lips.

"You can stay in here," she whispers. "Just to sleep," she warns me. Like I would try anything with her emotions so complex right now. I shrug and walk over to the other side of the bed, hesitating before sliding in between the sheets. Hayley makes sure that she is positioned under the bottommost sheet so that no parts of our bodies are touching. She reaches up to turn the lamp off and then positions herself as far away from me as she could possibly be. It is not long before her breathing settles into a deep sleep.

HAYLEY

I wake up with tears already soaking into my hair. I have been crying in my sleep, something I'm not entirely unaccustomed to. I can feel the weight of Harry's arm across my chest; he has gravitated towards me in his sleep. I should have expected that this would happen, I should have known. Light shines through the window that faces the outside of the house, alerting me to morning. Normally I would roll over, but time has become so precious to me. I try to slip out of Harry's arms without waking him, but I am unsuccessful. He groans, pulling me closer before opening his eyes. He immediately releases me.

"Sorry," he says. "I tried not to..."

"It's fine," I say. We sit in silence for an awkward moment before I stand up. "I'm going to go up," I say.

"I'll come?" Harry says, posing it as a question. He is tiptoeing around my emotions right now, and for that I am grateful. I nod, allowing him to follow me up the stairs. When we open the door, I know immediately that something is wrong. I had half-expected this, but it doesn't make Catherine's tear soaked face any easier to handle. Her eyes flit up to meet mine and she crosses the kitchen to take me in her arms.