Chapter 10: Lies & Hate

Start from the beginning

I messaged him back.

I miss you too.

A few moments later he responded.

I want to talk to you.

I paused and felt my cheeks grow warm.

Me too.

Suddenly, I heard a low moan and looked over to see Alex rolling over; his eyes were open. One of his eyes was more swollen than the other and his lips were still puffy.

"Hey, bud," I said as I hurried to him. I kneeled by his side and put my hand on his head. "How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Like hell," he said with a laugh. "I have this horrible headache."

"I think it's called a hangover, Alex."

He looked down at his hands as he fidgeted with the corner of his blanket. There was a loose thread and he started to tug at it.

"Are you going to tell me what happened?" I asked softly as I moved my hand to rest on his shoulder.

He was silent and continued to fidget with the thread that was slowly unraveling.

"Ale-"

"It's not a big deal Valerie. You don't need to worry." He shrugged my hand off of his arm.

I felt my brow furrow and tried to keep my cool as a surge of anger bursted through me.

"You do not get to do that to me," I said with frustration in my voice. "You do not get to call me late at night, drunk, alone in a park, scared, and brutally beaten just to tell me that I don't need to worry. Because I care about you Alex. And you do not get to tell me that this isn't a big deal."

I took a deep breath as I felt tears well inside my tired eyes.

"You have been here for me through everything, and I am going to be here for you. You do not have the right to push me away."

I sniffled and reached for his hand. I watched as his jaw clenched as he stared at my fingers squeezing his.

After a moment, he looked me in the eye and said, "I went to a party, got drunk, and the next thing I knew I was home."

I looked at him, examining his fragile face, and questioned him.

"Okay... So if you are telling the truth, why have you been skipping soccer practice?"

"I just don't want to go."

"Why don't you want to go?"

"It's none of your business!" He yelled at me, irritated.

"Alex, be honest with me. I want to help you."

"There is nothing you can do."

"Then why are you lying to me?"

His eyes grew fiery and his voice grew shaky. "Why are you treating me like I am the criminal instead of the victim?"

His words hit me hard and I closed my eyes, realizing how rude I was being.

"Alex, I'm sorry I didn't mean t-"

"Just leave it be. I don't know what happened last night, but there is nothing you can do."

I nodded my head and squeezed his hand even tighter.

"You don't believe me, do you?" He said with a bitterness in his voice.

"I do, Alex. I'm just worried," I said as I reached toward his face and brushed his hair away from his eyes. "I am going to make you some food. Okay?"