Chapter 5: Sagittarius Scores a Date

I slowly sipped on my coffee and listened as Riley read the daily horoscope section of the newspaper

I slowly sipped on my coffee and listened as Riley read the daily horoscope section of the newspaper. "Gemini.... where's Gemini. Oh here it is!" She often got way too excited about 'astrology'. 

"Today you will find hope in the small things," she read.

Bea laughed. "I thought you liked them big, Riley?"

I choked on my coffee, and Riley glared at me. 

"You think this is all fun and games, but the majority of my horoscopes are relevant to the events of my day. Want to hear yours, Valerie?" Riley asked, determined to enlighten me.

"Of course I do."

"Okay..." she rustled through the paper. "You're a Sagittarius. Sooo... today you will be surprised by your instinct."

"Aren't these supposed to be like... super specific? These sound more like fortune cookies. Not horoscopes," Bea said as she took a bite out of her croissant.

I heard a deep breath come from Riley. "Fine. Doubt the horoscopes all you want, but I'm choosing to believe them."

"You know someone just gets paid to lie to everyone about their day?" said Bea.

In a way it was amusing to see Riley so stuck on these horoscopes. Every morning she read them aloud even though she was the only one truly listening to herself.

The past few days I hadn't been able to join my friends at the café because Alex needed rides. It was nice to finally be able to settle back into my normal routine. 

"So what are your plans for this weekend? We should have a sleepover and movie night," I suggested. Bea was on her phone, but sort of nodded robotically.

"Yeah that sounds like it would be fun. But can it not be another chick flick? We watch too many of those," Riley pleaded.

"Well it's not going to be Harry Potter again. We watch too many of those."

 Now don't get me wrong. I love Harry Potter, but it was Riley's favorite series, and we had spent so many nights watching Voldemort desperately attempt to ruin Harry's life over and over again. 

"I think we should watch something we've never seen. What about a superhero movie?" I suggested.

"We should watch Wonder Woman. I think my dad bought it on DVD," Riley announced as she clapped her hands together. I laughed at her enthusiasm. Ever since we were in junior high, Riley had always been the positivity in our little trio. She was an endless bubble of joy. I loved her for that.

Beatrice, on the other hand, was the sweetest asshole you would ever meet. By that I mean she would be sweet and caring at some points, but if you caught her on a bad day, it was in everyone's best interest to steer clear away.