Chapter 25 - Cabo All Over Again

Start from the beginning

"We have a few hours," he said, pulling me closer so that I was standing between his knees. He pulled my face towards him and kissed me, a gentle kiss that melted whatever anger I had over his conversation with Serena earlier. Still, there were secrets between us and I wasn't happy. I pulled away.

"Maybe our timing isn't right. You and me."

He frowned. "What makes you say that?"

I shrugged, but didn't say anything. I took his hand and wove my fingers with his, feeling the smooth fingertips of his hand with my own. It was hard for me to fathom how he could be with me when there was gorgeous Serena with her hard body and perfect legs. It was difficult for me to imagine how he could still be in contact with her, unable to get her out of his life because of her connection to his clinic. And then there was Cabo.

"I don't read minds, Sam," Erik said softly.

"What's going between you and Serena?" I asked. "I mean, what's really going on? Why would she just go into your house and have the nerve to insult me and then go up to your room like you and her were still sleeping together? You tell me that you've broken up with her but then here you are, talking to her while I'm in the other room."

I was so busy gesturing with my hands I had let go of his. "I'm just confused," I added. "I don't know what's going on."

Erik didn't reply right away, but he looked annoyed. "Just like I don't know what's going on between you and David. Or why my best friend answered a domestic disturbance call and you tell me we'll talk about it later."

I swallowed, taking a step back. It was a taste of my own medicine - the secrets I'd been keeping all this time. He'd seen my eye the day after David hit me, yet I'd denied it. I was surprised Erik never pursued it, choosing instead to forget it. But he didn't.

He got up and began to pace the floor in front of the bed. "I'm trying to move on with my life the best I can with you next to me, Sam. But I just can't get do that without tying a few loose ends first and not hurt Serena - just like we can't really move on unless you tell me everything about David and what he does to you that you're so ashamed of. So if you have David, I have Serena."

"But David's my ex-husband," I said. "And he's the father of my child."

"It doesn't excuse whatever it is he does to you, Sam," Erik said. "And maybe it's the same thing that Serena does to me that's holding me back from telling you everything, but right now, I need to take care of this. I still care for her, but as a friend, Sam. Just that, a friend. She and I have been through a lot together and- "

"And what?"

"I need to make sure that whatever you and I do from here on, she'll be fine."

"And what if she won't be fine, Erik. What then? Am I just wasting my time here? Is this going to be a normal occurrence while we're, quote-unquote, seeing each other?"

Erik said nothing.

"She's not over you, Erik," I continued. "Can't you see that? She'll never be over you if you keep coddling her even after what she did yesterday. What would it take for you to see that she won't let you go? 'Eight years is no match to a one-night stand,'" I said, mimicking Serena's voice. "Or maybe it should be, 'eight years is no match to a weekend in Ojai' either. She said you always went back to her. Always."

This time I went too far and I knew it. Erik's jaw tightened. "So in your logical mind, just because she's not over me, I can't move on. Like I can't make my own decision as to who I want to spend my time with all because Serena decides that she's got eight years over your...what? Weekend?"