"I'm a girl dad, my kids will take on the last name of my husband." I stated.

"Hey, I never said anything about getting married, weddings are expensive! Use the guy for kids then get out!" He said with all seriousness.

"Ew, you're horrible!" I laughed, "Plus, I don't think your new boss would appreciate me using his son just to get kids." I shook my head with mock disappointment.

He merely shrugged, humour lighting up his eyes.

It's been hard for dad ever since mum left, and he doesn't smile like he use too. She just left one night without even saying goodbye. The divorce papers were left on the bench and left her family behind. I was 14, my bother Matthew was 17 and Brooke was only 3. Brooke and I received birthday cards every year until her death. Cancer. That's why she left, didn't want her family to watch her die, or so the note she left had said.

Dad and Brooke were, and still are to this day, really torn up by the whole thing, Matt moved away from home one year after and joined the army, he loved my mother so much and I think he was hurting the most. But honestly, I knew something was going to happen, she seemed 'off' a few days before she left. But I wasn't very close with my mum anyway, so it hurt my sister and dad more than it did me.

But dad has been doing great with us two kids without her and it's now been 4 years since she left.

"Come on, go get dressed." He laughed.

"Oh, um." I mumbled looking back at the pile high of dishes.

Dad chuckled and rolled his eyes, "Here I'll do it for you, go!" he said, picking up a plate and shoving me out of the way.

"Thanks daddy!" I said, kissing his cheek then flying up the stairs to get ready for this dinner.

What on earth was I meant to wear? I really had no idea. I figured it would have to be something nice, since dad was trying to get a job with this guy. I decided on a beautiful purple cocktail dress that flows just above the knee. I quickly slip on my black ballet slippers, and I grabbed my purse.

I really wasn't the dress up sort of person and didn't own many dresses. I preferred my jeans to this any day.

I glanced at my reflection in the mirror and sighed, I'd left my hair down which I usually leave up because I don't like the way it frames my face. My eyes focus on the round glasses, and I frown. I don't particularly like my glasses, but I'm definitely not a fan of contacts so I deal with them. Sighing, I gave up, walking out of my bedroom door.

"You look beautiful honey!" My dad grinned at me as I descended the staircase.

Brooke smiled at me as she grabbed my hand tightly and we followed dad out of the house then down to our way to a small grey BMW. Our family wasn't rich by any means, we lived in a beautiful white two story house and had a nice car, but to be honest, I knew dad was struggling. I always saw him the the office looking at the bills and swearing at the paper in front of him.

Dad use to be the best lawyer in this town but after my mum left, he quit so he could look after us, and decided to become a mechanic and work at the small shop just down the road, which obviously didn't pay as well. I thought dad was crazy for leaving, and I've been begging him to go back to his firm and ask for his job back, but he insists that he can't because of us kids, but I've finally managed to convince him now that I'm old enough, it will be alright, so that's what this dinner is about.

The car ride wasn't really that long, before I knew it we were standing outside of a massive white mansion.

"Wow," I muttered as I looked at the house in awe.