Dystopian Justice

Start from the beginning

Both Shachi and Penguin had fallen unusually silent the past day or so. Normally they were bickering or conversing incessantly, constantly prompting Law to shut them up. There was no need for that, it seemed, as the weight of the situation had apparently quieted them down for the time being. Their expressions were set in determination, as well as slight fear that they'd be too late. Law could understand, turning back to the path before them with an inaudible sigh. He sincerely hoped they weren't.

They continued walking for at least half an hour, stuck in their own thoughts. Conversation seemed dull at this point, almost forced. And so the silence was better. Law kept an eye on the darkness of the sky, knowing they'd have to stop before too much longer. Thankfully the moon was full that night and offered a bit more light to go by than usual, but it was still difficult to see the trail left by the traveling group.

He was just about to call it a night before Shachi stopped suddenly, causing the others to do the same. He held up a hand and looked off to the side, head cocked as if listening intently to something.

"I hear talking." He said, turning expectantly to Law and Penguin. They both took a moment to pause, and after a few seconds, the sounds of men conversing did, in fact, reach their ears. The three friends shared a long glance as they realized they'd caught up to Damien's group.

"Load up." Law whispered, not wanting to risk being heard now that he was aware they were so close to their target. Reaching for the pack on his back, he unzipped it to reveal the weapons they'd ransacked from the armory in Woodsfield. Shachi and Penguin gathered beside him to inspect what they had.

"How are we going to go about this?" Penguin questioned, voicing what was on all three of their minds. Both men turned instinctively to Law, who looked away to think. Sometimes it was too much being the decision maker of the group. Everything rode on his ability to plan and strategize.

"I want to have eyes on the camp before making any decisions." He said, looking back up to Penguin when he nodded.

"I can get close and take a look. One person will be quicker and quieter than all three of us."

Biting his lip, Law thought about the offer, finally nodded slowly in agreement. It wasn't his first choice to have one of them go, but in his experience, Penguin was a bit lighter on his feet than either himself or Shachi. "You're right. Just be careful, and try to get the layout and numbers. I want to be as prepared as we can."

Penguin took off his backpack and placed it on the ground beside Law and Shachi, sending them a thumbs up before heading off closer to the encampment.

______________________

Shachi and Law waited impatiently in their spot between some of the trees a good distance away from the camp. The possibility that Penguin would be spotted made them both on edge, but as of yet they hadn't heard any shouts of alarm or gunshots. Those were good signs, admittedly, but each minute dragged on and on.

Shachi's knee bound up and down while he sat cross-legged. It was a nervous twitch, but Law didn't comment on it. His eyes instead were busy sweeping the section of forest where his friend had gone, hoping to see any sign of the man returning. That, or any zombie that happened to be nearby. If anything, the undead would go instead to the much noisier camp where Damien and his men were, but one never knew.

"He's been gone awhile..." Shachi muttered under his breath, head swiveling towards the sounds of the camp. It was true, and Law didn't like it either.

Law shook his head slowly. "We just have to trust him. If he were caught, we'd have heard it."

"Yeah..." Shachi answered reluctantly, crossing his arms and bundling in closer to himself for a bit more warmth.