Seven

Hallie sat on the counter for at roughly 20 minutes scrolling through her phone, ignorant to the conversation going on between her brother and Alex on the floor below. She was so glad that she'd grabbed her phone when she left her room as she didn't want to risk going back. She didn't want to risk running into Alex. Things had been really awkward recently. Awkward to the point that she didn't want to be around her best friend. Her best friend, the only person she felt like she could open up to. Opening up to seemed impossible to Hallie recently. Everything seemed impossible to Hallie recently. Confused. Confused was the only way for Hallie to describe herself in that moment.

Hearing other people around the house was a consistent thing when having numerous people living in a single house, so hearing footsteps behind her didn't bother Hallie in the slightest. It was only when the footsteps neared the girl that she paid attention to whoever it was. That whoever being the person in the house she wanted to avoid the most. That whoever being Alex.

"We're not doing this here. Not when the others could walk up any minute." Hallie hissed, wanting nothing more than to avoid the inevitable conversation.

"We're by ourselves," Knowing he had the upper hand, Alex smirked. Once he had explained to Ricky that he was close to helping Hallie, Ricky jumped at the opportunity wanting his baby sister back to her happy normal. "I spoke to Ricky, he's taking everyone out for a bit."

Failing an attempt to get out of the situation once more, Hallie huffed. "Bye then." As she tried to jump down from the counter hands reached out holding her in place. Alex was being gentle but stubborn, he had to be, he knew it would be the only way to get Hallie to open up.

"Why do you keep running?" He asked softly.

It took a few moments for Hallie to come up with an answer and the one she gave wasn't much though when she muttered her response Alex knew he was getting close to answers. "I don't want to say."

"If you won't say it," He stopped talking with a pause, his hands soothingly rubbing her hips. "Show me."

"No."

Alex's next response had a slight element of hurt laced through it, though Hallie couldn't quite figure it out. She never had been good with emotions. "Stop pushing people away when things get difficult,"

"I don't push people away." She grumbled fed up with the interaction, wanting nothing more than it to end.

"Prove it then."

Though she hesitated slightly, a wave of confidence ran through Hallie. After a deep breath, she wrapped her arms gently around his neck, and pulled herself closer to him. His arms snaked around her waist as she leant up, pressing their lips together. Alex instantly reacted to her action, pulling the girl closer and kissing back. As the kiss deepened, Hallie's legs wrapped around Alex's torso, wanting nothing more than to be as close to him as possible.

Irony ran through Hallie's mind subconsciously, minutes ago she wanted to be as far from Alex as possible, and now she didn't want to let him go.

She broke the kiss and rested her forehead against his sat the pair stayed in a comfortable silence, neither wanting to ruin the moment.

He pulled away after a bit and looked the girl in the eye. Alex could've never guessed that this would happen, especially today. "Have I told you, your new hair looks cute." Awkwardness ran through his mind, not because of how he felt about her. But because he had just kissed his best friend and had no clue how this would play out.