[ 28 ] The Sky is Angry

Start from the beginning

Whik helped him up. "You should have turned the other way. Stupid."

"You expected me to get across with this belly sticking into the rock?"

Pelk laughed and the trio turned towards the path that winded in between the rocks. The Lundar flowers below cast a mellow blue on the boulders. The arrow was somewhere below them, among uncut fields of flowers, but Whik couldn't see it yet. He'd only heard of plants like them in tales his mother would tell him. She would have liked this. Whik raised his torch to show the path. It was a chasm of glowing blues and greens and yellows.

"Why is it so different here?" he asked. "I've never seen anything like this."

John walked behind him, using the light from their torches to find his way. "Because men and swords and mules haven't come through to trample the balance. I should have located my cabin here."

The descent into the glowing forest, above the ladder of trees and past the Tidesdale Pass, weighed on Whik's mind. He knew every step he took towards his destination was a step away from Sonora, Charlotte and Marg. He reflected on Millstone's written words. You asked me what the meaning of life was many years ago; everything you need to know is here. If this item gets into anyone else's hands, we will never know.

Whik no longer cared to know the meaning of life. He was tired, sore, and lonely.  He wanted a bed, not an answer. I'll probably be disappointed anyway. He kept silent for most of the way, focusing all of his energy putting on foot in front of the other. Though most of the journey was over smooth rocks, there were some patches of vines and roots that swirled together like the strands of hair hanging below Whik's brows.

They stopped several times to stoke new fires, using the dwindling flames from their torches to light the conflagrations. The vines were pliable enough to weave into compact torches, but the greenery that hung from their chutes produced a smoky flame. It would have to do.

They passed dozens of Lundar fields. The arrow was nowhere to be seen, but Whik knew the movement of the moon would have skewed it anyway. By the time the slope had leveled, they found themselves in an expansive gorge. The adjacent cliffs stood around the canyon like protective statues, casting watchful eyes on the explorers.

"There it is," Whik said, pointing to the hole that wouldn't have been noticeable without help from the moon. In no time they stood, mouths open, peering at the large entrance to the cave. Whik stared at the fissure. A thousand ghouls. He smiled and remembered the time he had led Sonora into one of Hemonstalia's caves. It was smaller than this one, but just as dark, and just as frightening.

"I'll stand watch," John said, leaning his torch against a rock.

"We'd be better off sticking together," Whik told him. Pelk stood silent.

"Sorry, lad. There is no way I'm going in there. Let's just say I have a fear of small places. I followed you through forests and up mountains, but this is where I draw the line. Besides, if we all head in there together and our torches go out, we're as good as dead. I'll head in a short distance every so often in case you need to shout for help. Don't go farther than you feel comfortable with."

"I'll go with you," Pelk said. "I don't mind dark."

Though lighting a fire was the last thing they wanted to do at the entrance of the cave, they needed to replenish their torches. The flames of the fire were stomped out minutes after the new torches were lit, and the smoke billowed into the night sky, joining the darkness.

Whik moved his torch to illuminate John's face. "Well, if we don't come back…"

"No. You'll come back," John said. "I didn't come all this way to wait until morning and carry out some corpses. You'll come back or I'll kill you myself."