"What's it for?" Betty asked as she took a sip of her hot tea.

Hannah had thought about lying to the midwives and Sister's and not telling them about the event, but she had nothing to hide. "Tommy and Grace have invited me to a dinner over at their house. If I remember correctly, I did hear Esme briefly mention that they are setting up an orphanage which is lovely."

"That is nice of them," Sister Margaret agreed with a compassionate smile. "Will you be attending with Michael?"

Hannah shrugged. "I think so."

"Think so?" Sister Maria scoffed. "It's either a yes or no answer, there's no in-between."

Even though she kept her mouth shut most of the time, there was still bitterness with Hannah and Sister Maria who had once got on rather well. Sister Maria had learnt over the recent weeks that no matter what she said or did, Hannah would still go running to Michael in her time of need. So, she continued to make little digs about their relationship just, so she could feel better about herself.

"He has been busy with work," Hannah responded as she slipped the invitation inside of her pinafore until she went upstairs. "I have to go now."

Sister Maria rolled her eyes as she watched Hannah storm out of the room. There were wounds to be cleaned, babies to be delivered and people to see; she didn't have time for Sister Maria's remarks that only upset Hannah.

+++

On her break, Hannah made her way over to the house where Michael stayed with his mother. The two of them had spent many nights since the wedding wrapped up in the bed sheets, learning things about each other's bodies and what pleased them the most. It was in the dead of the night when everything was silent, Polly was fast-asleep in the other room or down at the pub with the boys, that Hannah and Michael would discuss the private things. Throughout her time at Small Heath, she had heard rumours about the blinders and Shelby's, Michael would either confirm them or tell Hannah the truth. He would explain why the boys did what they did, and Hannah found herself becoming more comfortable around the Shelby's as she learnt that they weren't as horrid as everyone had made them out to be.

"Michael Gray," Hannah called throughout the house as she stepped inside. Michael had given her permission to enter whenever she wanted, and Hannah usually didn't, fearing that Polly would be sat in the dining room with a cigarette, completely unimpressed with Hannah's entrance but Hannah had seen Polly running down the street, chasing after one of John and Esme's kids who were refusing to go to school.

"I'm in here," Michael shouted, his voice coming from the make-shift office that was in the living room. Hannah strolled over and leaned against the doorway with her arms crossed. "What brings you here today, Hannah Anderson?"

Hannah shrugged before pulling out the invitation. "You didn't tell me about this."

Michael finally looked up and squinted his eyes until he recognised what Hannah was holding. "I didn't want you to come Hannah, I'm not going to lie to you. There's been some trouble with the Italians and - "

Michael stopped when Hannah began to stroll over towards his desk, her palms pressed flat against the wood when she had reached it. "I want to come."

"I don't want you to get hurt."

Hannah tilted her head to the side, understanding his concerns but also frustrated that he wasn't allowing her to go. "I won't get hurt if I have you by my side."

Michael raised one eyebrow before shaking his head. "No, there's a higher chance that you will get hurt if you are on my arm because they will use you against me. Just like they will use Esme against John or Grace - "