April 22, 1884 - Beth's Friend

She walked briskly, her dress sweeping the dusty street as she approached us arm in arm with a short, plump woman. The two of them were chatting enthusiastically.

Merrick and I took a step apart.

Before she spoke, she took a deep breath, in a way that said she had some exciting news she couldn't wait to spill. "I just got a letter from Cassie asking me to stay with her for a few days!" She looked at me and explained. "She lives up in Leadville. I'm just so excited; I haven't seen her in almost six months. But she wants me to be there before the week is out."

I had never seen Beth so animated. Her eyes rested on me, the look on her face almost pleading. "I hate to leave you alone. If you don't feel comfortable without me, I can postpone the trip." Even as she said the words, I saw the sacrifice in her eyes.

"No, I'll be okay. I mean, if you don't mind me staying a bit longer."

"Course not, sweet pea."

I glanced over at Beth's friend. "Oh, how rude of me," said Beth. "Introductions. Allie, this is my dear friend, Hattie Harwood." Hattie's face was open and friendly and put me at ease.

I extended my hand. "Nice to meet you."

"You too, dear. You know, I've got a daughter about your age, Lucy. It can get real lonely for her; I know she'd love to meet you."

"That would be great." It would be good to meet some girls my age that didn't bite. "Do you live near the Stones'?"

"Oh no. Me and Mr. Harwood live out on a little parcel of land, 'bout five miles out of town. It was just luck I ran into Beth today."

"I'm only here temporarily, but I'd really like to meet Lucy. The girls I have met haven't been too..."

Hattie lowered her voice. "You mean them wicked witches—that nasty little Charlotte Thomas?"

"Yeah."

"Well don't worry yourself about her none. No one else does." She winked. "So you're just here temporarily?"

"My dad is out of the country. The plan is to go back east and meet up with him when he returns." I could feel Merrick and Beth watching me as I explained to Hattie.

It was now twelve days past the date my dad was supposed to come get me. I wondered where he thought I was. Did he think I ran away like my mother did? The heartache I knew I was causing him was palpable. I wish there was a way to let him know I was safe, to let him know I would come home as soon as I figured out how.