Chapter 1

I let out a hysterical laugh as I ran down the middle of the village. I could hear Arthur's quick footsteps behind me and his ragged breathing. My hands held up my dress to stop it from dragging along the muddy path. I passed the church, stumbling slightly over the cobble stones. My mother and younger sister stepped out of the bakers, they can't know I'm out, especially with Arthur. "AVA" my mother screamed as I ran passed her.

"SORRY MOTHER" my blonde hair whipped at my shoulders as I ignored my mothers harsh words and continued to run away from Arthur. I turned around the church to be met by what felt like a hard wall. I let out a shriek and stumbled backwards but a firm grasp was placed on my shoulders. I was pulled up and my eyes met two hazel ones.

"Ava, whats the hurry" I squirmed slightly in Samuels grasp, he let go of me as Arthur ran round the corner to my side. My gaze was downcast as Arthur and Samuel exchanged words. Samuel was two years older than me at my age of sixteen, he always showed a interest in me when i turned twelve. Rumors were traveling around the village that Samuel was going to ask for my hand. i shrunk away at the idea, i don't want to get married. Don't get me wrong Samuel is a worthy husband, he has a respectable job, a house and is strong enough to take care of me. But i never wanted a husband, not a lover or anything.

My older sister Marie was married, but she didn't like the man. Alfred was violent and beat her regularly. What if that were to happen to me, she had two children and acted like she was happy. But every now and then i would see her crying and covered in bruises, it broke my heart.

I felt Samuels heated gaze on me, i shifted uncomfortably, looking down at my feet. "Arthur your father wants you home" i tensed slightly, that means i will be left with Samuel, alone. i shrank away as Arthur mutters a goodbye to me.

"Um, goodbye Ava" i watched his retreating figure, probably feeling guiltiy for leaving me. Samuel lifted up my chin with his hand and looked into my eyes.

"Hello Ava" he stroked my cheek lightly "well aren't you a beauty to behold" he muttered his leather boots made heavy noises as he took a step closer. His gaze traveled down my dress, it was a baby blue colour and had a brown leather belt Samuel had made going around my waist. i ran a hand through my blonde, wind blown hair. Samuels soft hand grazed my left shoulder, i stepped back a bit away from his lingering hand. "and so innocent. Ava im sure you have heard of the rumors traveling the village" i gulped and nodded my head slightly keeping my gaze downcast. Samuel opened his mouth as if to reply, when heavy footsteps were heard.

"AVA WHERE ARE YOU" I heard my older brothers, Henry's voice. What

"IM HERE HENRY" My family was quite big with four siblings i was in the middle. My Older sister Marie is twenty and as you know has a pair of twins, Evie and Walter. My older brother, Henry is eighteen and at most men that age is due to be married. My two younger sibling are both nine, Pippa and Ellie.

Henry came around the corner and took a step back when he saw me with Samuel. Henry was close friends wtih Samuel and often told me how fond Samuel was of me. "Samuel" he nodded at him before looking at me "Its... Mother wants you home. Theres important news" Henry seemed oddly distressed after father died Henry became the man of the house. I nodded as Henry turned to head back to the house with me following behind, i stopped when i felt a hand grasp my forearm.

"I cant wait in till i have you Ava" I shivered with terror at Samuels words. The rumors were true. His husky breathing continued as a hand stroked my cheek, i couldn't see Henry. He removed his hand and i walked off keeping my head down.

--------

I entered the house to see my mother and family sitting at the oak table, no one was talking all just zoning out. I sat down at the table and straightened my skirt which was wonky due to all the running i had been doing. My mother looked up at me, she looked like she had seen a ghost. Marie stood by Alfred who's arm was held tightly around her waist, Marie looked bothered by Alfreds closeness. I felt Henry tense as Alfred brought her against him tighter.

"There has been rumors Ava" i tensed slightly was she talking about Samuel. "Do you remember Edmund Ava, a horrible boy if you ask me but you seemed quite fond of him" my heart started pumping hard in my chest. I waited three years for him to come get me but he never did so i gave up. Five years its been since i have seen him. "And his mother a common nymph if you ask me, having a child out of wedlock can you imagine that. And of course the devil was in her son, Lucifer him self. And he killed the vicar that damn boy is going to hell i tell you" I cringed at her harsh words. "your brother saw him Ava" i turned to my brother who had a hand on my shoulder it soothed me slightly, but couldnt calm my thundering heart.

"its true Ava, me and Max saw him in the woods with banndits just outside the village. He hasnt changed a bit Ava, still got his black hair and grey eyes but he has grown a lot" my brother never liked Edmund probably because Samuel didnt like him. "Stay away from him Ava, i know you two were close but hes not the same boy anymore Ava, hes killed people. There is rumors, terrible rumors." I nodded Edmund would be eighteen now. Why was he here? Did he come for me or had he forgotten. I pushed any positive feeling about this out of my head, He isnt the same boy anymore, he is a man now, a dangerous man. I nodded at my brother before exuding myself. I changed out of my dress and into my bed clothes but i couldn't help but feel i was being watched.