“Lexi…,” Cesar said in a voice full of sadness.  He stands up and I saw the woman looked up at me.  I was taken aback…the eyes that stares at me are like the eyes of Mara.  But she is not Mara. I become more confused.

“What’s going on here Cesar?  Can you please explain everything to me? Who is she?” I demanded.  My mind’s in turmoil already.

“Lex…I’m sorry I didn’t mean to hurt you.  What you saw between me and Mara is nothing.  This is Krishna…Mara’s sister.  She is my girlfriend several years ago but we separated because I am a coward.  Elijah is our son and he is here right now…battling for his dear life.”

“Mara is Krishna’s sister? “

“Yes she is my sister,” Krishna answered from behind.  I looked back to her and saw the undeniable similarities.

“Mara did everything for Elijah…she wanted to save her nephew.  How many times she urged me to go to Cesar and asked for help, but I am too hurt and maybe…too proud to do it.  He rejected us once, I can’t  afford to be rejected once again much more my son.  I never knew Mara did this Alex, although she promised me that she will do everything to help Elijah.  Mara loves my son very much.  She is always there for us…setting aside her personal life,” Krishna narrated in between sobs.  Cesar hugged and comforted her.  

“I know Mara she is very independent and a tough woman but because of Elijah she did this. I’m really very sorry Alex.”

“So she just used me to talk to Cesar?” I uttered as if asking myself.  But she can do it if she really wanted without using me…without hurting me!!

“I don’t know what’s in the mind of my sister, but I am asking apology for everything that she messed up with you Alex.  I’m really sorry.”

“Where is the boy?” I asked changing the topic. 

“Inside…”Cesar answered pointing to the direction of the Intensive Care Unit.

“Can I see him?”

“Sure…just ask permission from the nurse.” Cesar stated.

I looked at my brother and saw the load of the burden he is carrying right now.  I held-out my hand to him in a manner of a handshake but instead of accepting it, he gathered me into his arms and hugged me tight.  Just like that and all the anger and heartaches I have for him a while ago vanished.

“Be strong Big Bro…your son needs you,” I told him before he let me go.  I see how he is trying his best to stay strong amidst all these trials.

I felt every eyes in the room looked at me as I walked towards the door of the ICU.  I buzzed and a small window near the door opened.

“Yes ma’am?” the duty nurse asked through the glassed window with a peep hole.

“Can I come in? I want to see Elijah…”

“Elijah Burchard?” the nurse answered.

“Yes…please…I’m his father’s sister.”

“Wait a minute ma’am.”

The window closed and the door of the ICU opened. I entered and the nurse ushered me to a small room.

“Ma’am this is a sterilized area.  As a rule you have to wear our sterilized laboratory gown, hair caps, gloves and mask for safety measures.  Our patients are very delicate and we have to make sure we are clean before we visit them,” the nurse instructed while handling me the clothes I have to wear.  I obliged and changed into the lab gowns.

 After changing the nurse leads me to a bed near the end of the room.  I felt my heart breaks when I saw the thin body of the boy lying limply on the bed.  His eyes are closed but the pain can still be mirrored on his face.  He might be in great pain before he falls asleep.

This is Elijah…the nephew I have… but never get to know. He must be  five to six years old now…able to run and play but was imprisoned in this hospital bed because of his disease. 

He looks like a little Cesar…his balding head still holds a few strands of the blonde curly hair like his father… the nose and even the lips…I guess he also have the blue eyes of Cesar. 

 My heart goes for this poor boy, while we were all enjoying a carefree life for several years, we did not know that we have one family member who lies here suffering.  

Elijah stirred from his sleep, the oxygen’s tube connected on his nose also moved. Several other apparatus are also attached on the different parts of his skinny body.

I slowly held his small frail hand, I can see small scars in there…probably caused by the IV injected therein.  I felt his small fingers move and coiled  my thumb. A different kind of feeling overwhelmed me and I felt tears welled on my eyes and rolled down my face.

“Hey man…this is Alex…you don’t know me yet the same that I don’t know you too.  But if you get well soon we will have a great time together.  I promised you I will play with you always…We will visit the Disneyland and buy you everything that you want.  I will teach you how to draw. We will make tattoo together.   So fight man…we  love you,” I whispered softly on Elijah’s ear as I held his small hand in my hand.

I stayed there for quite a long time holding the hand of my nephew.  I am close to understanding now why Mara did everything for this boy.  He must be a very adorable child.  But what I don’t understand is Mara’s reason why she made me fall in-love with her? Does she have other plans? Did she really loves me? Where is she right now? 

--------------------------

So there you are…Alex now is ok with Cesar and was able to see her nephew.  But where is Mara? Will they ever be reunited? Will Elijah survive?

Guys…I’m planning to add a couple of chapters to this story before ending it so that I can focus on my other stories.  Please try to tell me what do you think? Feedbacks pleaseeeeee…vote and fan if you want…I won’t force you if you don’t like lol…love you to the bone….:-)Boss