Elijah...

ALEX POV…

I arrived at Saint Vincent Pediatric Center past midnight and as expected, there are only few people on the hallway.  There are few nurses and medical attendants on the entrance of the hospital.  I went straight to the information but stopped halfway there.  I remember I don’t know who is my patient.  How can I asked the information where is the room of my patient if I don’t know who he is.  I took my cellphone and turned it on just then I felt somebody patted my shoulder.  I turned and saw Judge.

“It’s good you are here now Lexi.  We are all worried about you sis.”

“Why are you here?  Who is the patient? Don’t tell me this is only a charade to force me to go home.”

“No you are wrong this is not a charade much more not a joke. We are all here because of Elijah…Cesar’s son.  He is suffering cancer and in critical condition right now.”

“Cesar has a son? How come? With whom?” I asked so confused.  

“Come…they are waiting for you at the waiting room of the Intensive Care Unit.  I think Cesar is the person who can fully explain everything to you.”

Judge ushered me down the hallway.  I’m like a robot that just follows instructions.  I’m so confused!  There are so many things that happen this past twenty four hours and my mind can’t hardly digest and understand everything.  I felt Judge hand on my shoulder and squeezed it while we were walking.

“Lex…you know I’m always here to listen to you…be strong! Whatever we are facing right now, always remember that we are one family and we will never leave you.  We are willing to understand.”

I am so touched by what my brother said that it bring tears to my eyes.  I know he mean it.  I blinked my eyes trying to suppress my tears.  I looked back at him and saw he smiled at me with assurance. 

I don’t know how I look…maybe I look like a mess…I don’t care at all because deep inside I feel like one.  

Judge ushered me inside a room with benches lining both sides.  I saw Dad and Mom sitting with Mimi on the far end of the room.  Mom was crying while Dad is comforting her.  Seated next to them is Cesar consoling a woman.  I can’t barely see her face because Cesar’s body is covering her.  But I know it’s not Mara…I know it!

Dad saw as entered the room and  immediately whispered to Mom.  Mom quickly stand and ran to hug me.

“Lexi…thanks God that you are ok.  We are all worried about you.”

“I’m sorry Mom…I didn’t mean to scare you.  I just need time to be alone.”

Mom never say another word but just hold me tight…I closed my eyes and savor this moment.  I felt Mom rocking me like a baby…the gesture she is always doing when I am still a small child, her hand softly patting my back as if soothing all my pains.  

“I can feel your pains Lex…but you got it all wrong.  Cesar didn’t mean to hurt you…you two need to talk.  Talk to your brother…he needs you right now,” Mom whispered to my ear. I didn’t answer.  I don’t know what to say.

I want to flinched and argue with Mom, I’m thinking I’m not yet ready to face my brother but she leads me to where Cesar is seated.  I looked at Dad thinking he will stopped and rescue me but he just nodded as if telling me…go!  No chance of escape, I followed Mom with a mixed emotion.

Cesar was too pre-occupied with comforting the woman that he didn’t notice our presence. 

“Cesar…Alex is here,” Mom stated as she patted Cesar on the shoulder.  He looked up and I saw the tears of anguish on his face.  The first time I saw my brother crying after so many years.  The last time was when we were just small and he broke her arm in a basketball game.  After that I never saw him shed tears again. He became tough both physically and emotionally.  Far from the broken man I am facing right now. His shoulders slumped in surrender, his eyes full of sorrow.