XIV

There was a sort of haze, kind of like a gray fog veiling my vision. It was silent except for this shrill, high-pitched ringing in my ears, that faded with a few moments' passing.
Then my senses came back suddenly, and my head stung with a sharp pain as I lied on an unforgiving cement floor. The blood rushed to my head as I wearily sat up and saw electrified, glowing bars in front of me and Peter unconscious in the corner, his legs and arms shackled together
I cautiously moved over to him and softly tapped the side of his face as I whispered,
"Peter...Peter..."
He awoke with a start and released a short, high-volumed shout. I clamped my hand over his mouth.
"Shh. Peter, I don't know where they went. We're behind bars now."
He quickly sat up and instinctually put an arm in front of me in protection at the sound of solid boots smacking against the floor. I turned to see a man dressed in a military uniform, staring at us as if he could cut us with a simple glare.
"Mutant scum," he uttered in a deep, menacing voice.
He looked at his clipboard and added,
"You both will be undergoing a series of tests so we can collect data about your kind. We require you to list the abilities the mutant gene allows you, and if you refuse we I'll resolve to other more painful forms of extracting the information."
Peter softly, almost silently, whispered into my ear,
"Are your powers suppressed?"
I nodded slowly, not breaking eye contact with the soldier.
Peter abruptly stood up and stated,
"Speed, my power's speed. Do whatever you want to me, but she's not a mutant."
"Stop, what are you doing?" I said in a desperate, petrified tone.
The man gave a sort of devilish smile and released a small laugh,
"Yes, well, we'll see about that. The two of your blood work should be back at any moment now."
My eyes went wide with confusion,
"You took our blood when we were out?"
"It's just simple procedure. We'll see if your boy here was lying or not, and let me tell you if he was he just made things a whole hell of a lot worse for you."
A couple of steel doors opened with a clash of metal, and a woman in a lab coat handed the man some paper work.
He flipped through the sheets, scanning across  paragraphs and charts, then peered back up at us.
"Looks like you were telling the truth. ___ is not a mutant. You, on the other hand, Peter, have a long time ahead of you."
"How do you know our names, you sick bastard?" I yelled with a sudden volt of anger.
I felt my hands tremble at my  sides.
Shit. Not now. Not now.
"We have our ways. You'll be transported to another cell. No need to run the costs of this electrified thing if you can't do any damage."
Peter narrowed his brows,
"Another cell? She's not a mutant, you said it yourself. Just let her go."
He laughed and my blood turned cold, frozen in my veins, then answered unfazed by his words,
"You'll be executed tomorrow morning. We can't let this information leak."
My head quickly whipped toward Peter, whose eyes were wide and glossy. The man pulled a gun from his side and shot it right at Peter, who then had a tranquilizer sticking from his neck in a fraction of a second. His head hung down as he went unconscious.
"Peter!" I screamed with my fingers shaking uncontrollably.
The soldier pulled down a lever with a grinding of metal and the bars switched off, still warm with the imprint of electricity. He opened the cell and grabbed me by the wrist, with his anger and darkness burning into my body. I winced at the pain.
My powers were coming back.
Across the room he threw me onto a steel floor and locked me in a gray, bare room, with a single window, only big enough to see Peter's closed eyes and drooping head.
My entire body vibrated as I sat there. There was an uneasiness in my chest as I felt chaotic energy building and building.

I was about to explode.