Say It Again

Glen is the first server who greets us as we enter the restaurant. He thanks us again for last time before updating Quincey on the health of his brother. 

"I'll go get us some drinks," Quincey says once we find a nice spot. 

"OK," I reply with a small voice still a bit disconcerted.

I'm left on the couch and I immediately replay the scene again and again in my mind knowing I won't get tired of it. As it replays for the thousandth time, I see a scarf fall on the floor near me.

"Excuse me," I pick it and catch up to the woman who didn't notice. "You dropped this."

"Oh," she turns around. "Thank you, I...," she trails off once we make eye contact. "Shannon?"

"Miss owen..." 

She is the last person I was expecting to see when I entered. 

Why did she come back to town? 

"Shannon," she smiles. "I'm so happy to see you-"

I slap her hand away when she tries to touch me. The pain of the stab wound she left on my heart long ago is slowly surfacing again, I start to panic. It was so painful, I can't go back to feeling that way.

"Wait!"

I ignore her call me back as I run away from her. My eyes look for Quincey, and I rush to him once I find him.

"Quincey, I'm leaving."

"What? Now? Why?"

"I have to go. I'll wait for you next to the car." 

I make sure my ears remain deaf as I walk past Miss Owen again. Memories of our time together come back to mind. The times we rehearsed together, drenched in sweat but having so much fun we didn't pay attention to our weariness. I really liked her, she meant a lot to me, she was more than just my dance teacher, she was my big sister. I respected her, I admired her. Yet in an instant she became a back stabbing monster to me.                  

Don't cry, don't cry.

It's been so long since I saw her, she didn't change one bit. Still as beautiful as ever.

Don't cry, it's OK. 

I've reached the car, now I can't run anymore, but standing in one spot is not helping me vent. 

She doesn't deserve your tears, don't cry.

"Shannon!"

As soon as I hear Quincey's voice call out my name, I turn around then rush into his arms. 

"Wh-what's going on?" He asks confused.

I'm too agitated to answer. No matter how much I try, no words come out of my mouth.

If I don't say anything, he's going to think I'm weird. 

However, Quincey doesn't ask anymore questions, he simply reels me in. Once I feel him wrap his arms around me, the pain subsides gradually. It feels like I'm covered with a warm cozy blanket. I don't want to come out. I'm in a place where I know nothing can harm me.

A few months ago the mere idea of being this close to him would have been ludicrous, I wouldn't have dared to imagine it. I'm amazed at how far we've come, at how easy and natural it is for me to be this way with him. 

"What happened?" Quincey asks after a couple of minutes.

"I saw... someone, I really, really, didn't want to see."