TWENTY • BEAUTIFUL CONTRADICTION

CHAPTER TWENTY

•••

he was unexpected
I truly did not expect him
or his effect on my
my heart
my mind
my feelings
he was the calming sound
of the light pitter-patter of drizzle
on an april sunday morning
in my brutal destructive hurricane

•••

   LILIANA was mad, to say the least. She had the sense of great déjà vu, as she stormed to her Lord Commander's office in a hissy fit. For some how Jon always managed to get under her skin and irritate the hell out of her.

   This time specifically she was mad that he had outed her to the whole Watch and that Ed hadn't told her what he had said to them. But she guessed that wasn't quite his fault, more Ed's fault but she felt like since it was to do with him, she could clump it all together and add to the frustration.

   "Lord Commander." She tried to be polite as she burst through the door. The room was dark, only lit by candle light which gave little to none illumination. She had to admit, he looked rather sexy in the low light, the flame's reflection playing in his eye.

   "Ana." He smiled, dropping the scrolls He was reading onto his desk. She didn't return the gesture.

   "Don't 'Ana' me." She hissed, trying to ignore his pretty face and instead focus on her anger. "I can't believe you outed me to everyone!"

   "What?" He stood from his great wooden chair as she stepped into the room further. She watched as the light from the flames danced across his face, highlighting his scar. "I don't understand."

   He moved round to the front of his desk so he was closer to her and leant against it, crossing his arms. "I just had a lovely visit from Ed." She smiled sickly sweet. "And he was telling me of what actually happened in Hardhome."

   He frowned, his brow crumpling and his nose scrunching up. "I don't follow. What did actually happen in Hardhome?"

   "You slipped up! You said 'her' and 'she'!" She was throwing her arms up in desperation.

   "I'm sorry that I was worried about you." He drew his lips into a thin line. "I'm sorry that meanwhile I was scared to death as you almost bled out in my arms that I said 'her', I was trying to save your bloody life! So excuse me if I used the wrong term to describe you."

  Trying to ignore any butterflies that fluttered in her stomach at his words, she tried to change the subject slightly. "What was it that you said to Ed, anyway? He wouldn't tell me. He said that as you were walking to the Wall you said something to him." She stepped closer. "What did you say?"

   "I don't remember." He looked away, picking up a book from the desk and passing it to her. "This is for you, a present for your nameday." He smiled and she glanced at the book, it was on the constellations. A small smile spread on her face and she momentarily forgot about the anger.

   "And this," He pushes a larger book into her arms. "It was from Sam, another nameday gift, said that Maester Aemon had wanted to give it to you before he died.

   She frowned, dropping to books back onto his desk. "No." She ferociously shook her head. "Don't change the subject. What was it you said? What did you say to Ed to out me?"