19. Sweet and Strong

"Some women fear the fire,

Some women simply become it."

SONAM

SONAM

When I was a little girl, I was told by a family priest that love wasn't in the cards for me, that I was destined to be alone, that I would never be truly loved by a man.

I proved him wrong when I married Virat.

People say that a woman doesn't fall in love with a man because of his face, or his personality, a woman falls in love with a man because of what she has heard about him.

Maybe that was true.

I fell in love with him just because of what I had heard about him.

I met him for the first time at my college graduation. Virat was the chief guest, invited for the business department's graduation ceremony. I remember looking at him and telling my friends that he was the first man I had found attractive in a very long time.

He was also the first man I had ever gone upto, the first man I had stammered pathetically in front of and the first man who had called me cute.

I still remembered the amused look on his face, his eyes shone with wonder as he saw me embarass myself.

It was cute and annoying at the same time.

The second time I met Virat was in a traffic jam. My uber had cancelled my ride and Virat's car had stopped in the middle of the road, just to drop me home.

The third time I met Virat was on purpose, I knew he was going to be at the inauguration party of a huge business arcade and I had won tickets to the party through a lucky draw. Well, I had cheated to win.

So I finally met him and he asked for my number.

He proposed me within six months.

Adjusting to an environment that was completely different to mine was a huge challenge and while I enjoyed the money, it also haunted me.

This world was fake. The girls wore clothes that showed no modesty and the boys stared at your cleavage as if it were their own.

Nobody gave a damn about the traditions and culture that we were brought up in.

It was different.

Even thinking about Virat made me feel warm and giddy inside. He was my sunlight after a dark night, my rain in scorching heat, my fire in the deadliest winter, he was my life..my everything.