ღThe Beginningღ

From this year onwards, he will be the captain of Kaijou basketball team. Kasamatsu Yukio never thought of the day he will become the captain of the blue elites. He was a little nervous but he decided to hide all that behind a strong-willed facade; what kind of a captain would he be if he cannot be brave and lead the team to victory? 

Before he heads off back to the club, he wanted to make sure she made it here safely. 

"Yuzuriha, you're on time." 

Yuzuriha Airi, a 15 year old freshman soon turning 16, was looking a little nervous. She's very nervous of her very first day of school. 

"Senpai, good morning." She greeted Kasamatsu properly. She respects Kasamatsu a lot even though they have only met for 2 years. That single year made him important to her. 

Kasamatsu on the other hand was actually used to this girl. He's usually useless around other girls but she was an exception. It's not that he doesn't see her as a girl, it's just he can now look at her in the eyes and talk to her. 

"Did your hair get longer?" He was an oddbod for noticing something guys wouldn't usually care for. 

"You noticed?" 

"Yeah." 

"You're weird, Kasamatsu-senpai." She laughed a little. 

"Huh? What is so funny about that? Don't laugh!" 

"Ouch!" 

"I'll hit you!" But he already did. Oh, have I forgot to mention he can hit her? It was only a light hit to the head, as a punishment for laughing at him. 

"Senpai, I still remember what you said to me before I graduated. I just wanted to say 'thank you'." 

"Huh? What's with you? Getting all cheesy..." 

"I was very unhappy... Until I met senpai." 

"... Whatever, kid. Get going now." 

"..." She doesn't want to be with people of her own age. 

"Yuzuriha, remember what I told you, okay? If you remember that, you'll be fine. And anyway, what are the odds of you and that guy meeting at the same school? If he does anything to you, I'll hit him." 

"Senpai..." 

"Get going. I need to make sure I've met the freshmans who are joining the basketball club. I'll see you later." 

"Thank you." 

Kasamatsu watched Airi made her way to the assembly hall where the teachers will welcome all of the freshmans of Kaijou High school. Kasamatsu was proud to see the grey uniform on her; she's a lot different from 2 years ago...

~2 years ago~

Kasamatsu Yukio was making his way home. He was tired from practice and would love to have a shower and then have dinner. 

"...?" He saw a Middle school girl sitting on a swing in the park. What time did she think it was? To be still playing around... Kasamatsu thought of ignoring her, he will just get nervous anyway! But when he heard soft sobs, he didn't stop to think and dug into his bag for some tissues for her. 

"Huh?" The girl looked up, tears still fresh on her face. She saw the packet of tissue and the person who gave it to her. She found it odd how this High schooler refused to look at her in the eyes. "Thank you..."

"..." He was afraid he will do anything stupid by stuttering so he remained silent and stiff as he stayed with her. He wondered why she was crying but he figured she probably didn't want to talk about it. 

After a while, the Middle school girl decided she had cried enough. 

"Senpai, thank you for staying with me. I'll go home now." She was smiling but that smile hid sadness behind it. He wondered what made her this upset...

Back in the present, he was trusted enough to know of her problems. After knowing what had happened during her 2nd year of Middle school, Kasamatsu decided he will be her pillar of support no matter what happened. But he will leave her all alone when it's his turn to graduate...

He wanted to make sure she's found people she can trust before he leaves... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She was very nervous. She doesn't like meeting new people... Shit, what will she say during the introduction?!

'Senpai, I'm very nervous again...' She thought, staying anchored to her seat like it was a lifeboat. 'It's only for an hour, Airi, you can survive this and then go straight to Kasamatsu-senpai...' 

She only allowed herself to trust Kasamatsu Yukio. He may not look like it but he actually helped her a lot during her time in the 2nd year of Middle school. Without his support, she would have probably refused to attend the graduation ceremony.

'Stay calm, smile, be nice, stay calm... Smile... Be nice...' It was like a lucky chant to get rid of all of her fears and doubts she was feeling.

"Airicchi?" 

Hearing that nickname made her heart drop all at once. She looked up at the boy who called her that name. Kise Ryouta...

"..." Airi was afraid to look up to see the one person she never wanted to see. 

"Airicchi, is it you? Wah~! It's really you~!" 

"..." Airi squeezed her skirt, trying to stop herself from shivering from fear. 

"It's me, Kise Ryouta~!

"...!" Airi couldn't take it anymore and ran out of the classroom, ignoring everyone and the teacher who she had knocked out...