Wedded Bliss (James Sirius Potter)

Start from the beginning

As if to prove his point, he gestured across the room to where his parents were sat talking to some of the other wedding guests. A girl – his younger sister, I assumed – was busy devouring her slice of cake but his brother was nowhere to be seen. Feeling the weight of his eyes on me, I shifted my gaze back to Potter's face.

"This is my aunt's wedding," I answered his unasked question.

"Ah." He leaned back in his seat, drumming his fingers against the table as he cast a glance over the room. "I can practically hear your thoughts Guaman – you're wondering why I decided to act like an idiot and sit next to you."

"I'm actually wondering whether you're part narcissist – we've spoken how many words to each other? And you assume I'm thinking about you?"

Laughing quietly at that, he shook his head before admitting, "You're the only other person here that's similar in age to me – apart from my siblings of course. I needed someone to occupy me for a while."

"I know the feeling," I admitted begrudgingly just as I heard his mother call for him.

Potter heard it too and he rose to his feet with a reluctant sigh. Remaining seated, I looked up at him curiously when he didn't immediately head over to join his mother at her side. Tucking his hands into his trouser pockets, Potter looked down at me with a warm smile.

"I'll see you at school?" I just nodded in response and took the time to watch his retreating back.

Naturally, as the son of the 'saviour of the wizarding world', a lot of rumours circulated around the school about Potter. They claimed that the blood of a lion ran through his veins, that he was bound to be the bravest member of the house – or the most idiotic some would argue. But they'd never mentioned quite how strange he was.

The rumours painted him as someone that was arrogant, and easily lost in his own pride – but they didn't even mention how friendly he was. I guess that was why they said to never listen to rumours.

**********

How many times a year did people attend weddings? Why did it seem like I was forced to go to one whenever I came back from school? And now that it was the end of my fifth year and the summer holiday had officially begun, I was almost afraid of how many wedding invitations I had seen stacked in the corner of the room. Then again, summer weddings were a popular thing, regardless of the year.

Thankfully, I wasn't one of the only teens in the room. In fact, it seemed like most of Ravenclaw house had been forced to attend by their families and there was no shortage of conversation partners to make the wedding fly by. Maybe the bride's wish to have an extravagant was a blessing in disguise?

I stood beside my mother as she talked to one of her long-lost friends and frowned down at my empty cup. Ducking away to get a refill, I weaved through the kids who were running around the room in a game of tag before reaching the table of drinks in the corner of the room. Picking up the glass of juice that was closest to me, I frowned when it was plucked easily out of my hand.

"Excuse me, but that's ... mine," I trailed off as I turned to face Potter who was busy drinking from my glass.

Tutting quietly, I picked up another glass of juice before turning to look at the boy who so clearly had something he wanted to say. Potter took a long drink from the cup, smiling teasingly as he lowered it. Rolling my eyes, I couldn't help but smile back.

"Why is it that you're only willing to talk to me during weddings," he wondered aloud, making me furrow my eyebrows at him.

"What are you talking about?"