Chapter 5

{Evie's costume}

Evie POV

I hit the final pose of my dance as the song ended. I leaped out of the position and jumped around in excitement. I was really excited to perform. The basketball game had snuck up and  I had been working on it for the past few weeks. After grabbing my costume and turners, I headed back into the house and upstairs to my room to get ready. 

After getting my hair into a tight, sleek ponytail, I ran a flat iron through it until it was pin straight. I then applied a bit of light stage makeup. I only put on a bit of eyeshadow, mascara, and a red lip. I then slipped into my costume. It was one of my favorites. I left the skirt off and tucked it into my bag along with my water bottle and turners. I then threw on a pair of joggers over my tights. After that, I ran down the stairs to see my dad waiting for me. 

I was really happy that he had taken off a bit of work to come and see me perform. He glanced up and smiled at me. 

"Ready to go sweetheart?" he asked as he pulled me into a soft hug.

"Yep!" I exclaimed. I never got nervous for performances, just really really excited. 

After we arrived at the school. I hopped out of the truck and left my dad. He was going to sit in the stands whereas I needed to go to the locker rooms and wait. 

I ran into the school to meet the athletics director, she was helping me out. It had also been her idea to have me perform. She needed someone and when she found out that I danced, she reached out.

She directed me to the locker room where the basketball players were warming up.

I suddenly felt extremely self-conscious standing in front of a bunch of huge guys in only a lacey cropped top and a pair of joggers.

I looked up nervously only to be met with a pair of familiar blue eyes. It was Ace. Hmm, I never knew that he played basketball.

"What are you doing here?" he asked quietly.

"I'm the half-time show," I said as I quietly looked down at my feet.

I heard a chorus of 'awwww's coming from the other players. I heard a whistle and a yell, and all of the guys started filing out of the locker room. 

Ace picked me up, causing me to let out a squeak of surprise. He let out a slight chuckle before he wrapped me in a tight hug. He then proceeded to turn around set me down on the bench and walked away. 

A frown of confusion graced my lips as I sat there wondering what the heck just happened. 

After a little while of playing on my phone, the director came back in to call me out for halftime. I was already ready to go in my full costume. I slipped on my turners and walked out behind her. I was still hidden so I waited as she went out to make the announcement. I quickly relaxed my anxious breathing listened closely.

"Alright, for tonight's halftime show we will have the pleasure of Evie Carter, dancing to the song Lay Me Down," the audience clapped politely and the director waved me out.

I saw the basketball team sitting on the sidelines, all eyes trained on me. 

I took a deep breath as I took on my starting position. The music started, and I became lost in my own little world. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ace POV

As soon as the name Evie came out of our school's athletic director's mouth, I became excited. I hadn't seen her dance yet so this was a bit of a moment. 

As I watched her walk onto the floor, my breath hitched slightly. She was gorgeous. 

She took a deep breath and then the music started. The look on her face stayed neutral and soft. Her eyes were unfocused and she was sucked into her own little world. 

She swayed and moved in time with the music. Her small body was strong and powerful as she hit her little stunts perfectly. She moved ever so gracefully and I couldn't take my eyes off of her. The dance ended too soon and the crowd started screaming and clapping loudly, giving her a standing ovation. I quickly joined them and watched as she walked off. 

About halfway there, her eyes widened and she broke into a run. My eyes followed her and watched her jump into a man's arms. My fury grew and I tried my best to not react on impulse.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evie POV

As I walked off I looked up to see my brother standing there with a proud smile on his face. I broke into a run and jumped into his arms. The crowd 'aaaaawwwed' but I didn't care. I was just so happy my brother was here. I hadn't seen him in way too long. 

Ok, it had only been like 3 months, but that's way too long in my book. He said something but I wasn't paying attention. I just had my head buried in his neck giving him a long-awaited hug.

Suddenly I was yanked out of my brother Alec's arms. I let out a yelp of surprise and noticed that I was in Ace's. He buried his head in my neck and let out a growl.

"MINE!" he growled out. I didn't know what to do so I just tried to wrap my arms around him in an attempt to calm him down.

My brother sent a confused look over at me. To which I just gave a confused look to. 

The game behind us had resumed and was coming to a quick ending. 

"Whats wrong?" I asked in a small voice. Though I knew he would here me because of how close he was. 

"Your MINE!" he said lowly.

I didn't know what to say so I just let out a confused sigh and nodded my head, not knowing what he meant. 

He sent a look to his coach and started walking out, still holding me tightly. I sighed again, knowing that I wasn't going anywhere soon. 

He carried me out to his car and set me on the passenger side. He then angrily walked over to the other side to start driving. I was still really confused because he hadn't said anything yet except mine. 

He took off out of the parking lot and driving somewhere. I quickly realized how exhausted I was and the soft hum and movement of the car slowly caused me to curl up in a small ball and become lulled to sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much for reading! Hope you enjoyed the chapter and make sure to vote and comment! <3 <3