Chapter 3

DEATH pov

I sit at my desk and finish up a few things for work. I should of made an appearance at the office but I decided it was best to get a feel for Gray. I admit I didn't want to leave her with a bodyguard either. I still don't know what the f*ck I was thinking by bringing her here. I don't need this kind of baggage.

I decided to do some digging on Gray Perrin. I found the report on her mom. Her mother hung herself in their basement in Everett, Washington. A thirteen year old Gray found her like that. It was too late though. One month later Bradley lost the house and it's not hard to see that it went downhill from there. I found out that Gray is an only child and her mom suffered from mental illness. Gray is currently seventeen but her birthday is September 22nd. Three weeks away.

I lock up the information that I found. I have to keep my f*cking head clear. The look on Gray's face keeps haunting me though. She liked the clothes I picked for her. It made me feel something even though I know it shouldn't. I plan on taking her to lunch and shopping. But I need to make sure she can handle it. She is a little skidish. But it's understandable after the hell she's probably been through.

The shower shut off a while ago so I decide it's time to check on her. I walk to the bedroom door. The tapping of my feet is the only sound. I know she hears me coming. I knock on the door anyways.

"Come in." I hear her angelic voice. I open the door to find a clean and dressed goddess standing in front of me. Her hair is longer than I thought. It almost reaches her a**. It's still damp but holds it's waves. Her clothes seem to fit well and they offer a little room to give. I can't help the smile that creeps across my face or my dick from getting hard. F*ck she's a minor.

"They fit perfect. Even the shoes. Thank you so much....Um..how did you know my shoe size?" She asks me. I hesitate. Shit, I may have looked at her feet while she slept.

"I measured your feet while you were sleeping. I hope you do not find this weird. I just knew you would need shoes eventually." I keep any emotions off my face and gauge her reaction. Her cheeks turn a pretty pink.

"It's ok. I love them. I always wanted a pair of converse." She speaks while checking out her shoes. I've never picked out clothes for anyone but myself. It's different to say the least.

I glance at my Rolex. 11:48. 

"Would you feel comfortable going out to lunch with me? We can stop by the mall as well." I ask. Her face lights up then falls.

"Um I appreciate the clothes and wonderful breakfast but you know I don't have any money. I'm not sure.." She stops and bites her plump bottom lip. I feel my body harden again at the sight of it and I look away.

"I don't expect you to pay for anything. Money is not an issue. You will not rack up a debt with me. However if you are afraid that a monster will be out there waiting to take you from me, I can assure you he will not touch you. Never again Gray Lucille Perrin will you have to be touched by that monster or any other." I stop talking and smile an evil smile. She never told me her middle name and she must realize that I did some digging.

"I am a killer and I am very good at what I do. I also do not like anyone touching what is mine and I have no problem fighting for you." I widen my evil grin and show my white teeth. Her eyes bug out and her cheeks flame. 

Part of me wonders what in the f*ck I'm saying. I live alone. I take women when I need them. Gray is gorgeous but she's a minor. My life is a life of solitude. Watching out for someone is foreign to me.

"Thank you for everything Death." She whispers and I know she means it. It's easy to be greatful for small things when you come from nothing. I know. I've been there.