Chapter 15 part 4

William began to feel the exertion as he stared up at the man. 

The Caretaker moved through him, eased a deep breath into his lungs and pushed the pain away.  She looked at the man above.  He is frightened.

William looked down to the voices.  "This man is going to hurt Jess?"  The voices stood around him, not moving.

Leave, The Hunter said.

He looked up, but the man wasn't there.

He has gone, The Advisor said.

The Hunter pressed closer.  Leave.  Now.

The police will come soon, The Advisor said.

You need a new place to rest.  The Caretaker motioned for him to go with her.

William didn't follow as the voices moved toward the door.  "You said I needed to get this man's attention.  If he's going to hurt Jess, why didn't you tell me to go after him?"

Leave, The Hunter said again.

He didn't.  The voices stood and the fog thickened around William.  It pulled at his senses, began to cover his will.  He didn't move.  "Why?  I need to know why."

The voices stood silent.  Then, they faded for a moment and static filled William's ears.  When the voices reappeared, they were close by, surrounding him.  The Advisor reached out to him as the Hunter and Caretaker moved in.  All three voices stood in the same place, overlapping each other.  The Advisor's hands pushed into William.

A flood poured into him.  Images and sounds stacked together, each a frame of film strip cut up and stacked together instead of laid out in understandable order.  He saw Jessica, the man who wanted him dead and the other man from Jessica's apartment.  He saw the detective, the doctor and even himself. It was a view of everything from the outside.  He was a witness to everyone and to the work they had to do.  He moved further away from his own perspective, saw more, and then The Advisor stepped back.

William sagged, was caught and held up by the voices.  The images and information that were shown to him began falling from his consciousness.  There had been too much.  He had been able to hold it when the voices had been with him, in him.  But alone, it spread out of his conscious mind, too large to hold.

Leave.

He nodded weakly.  He didn't have the answer he had wanted.  Whatever they had done might have been an attempt to show him, but it hadn't been an answer he could keep.

He looked at the dead bodies on the floor and followed the voices out of the warehouse.

 *

(Author's note: Thank you all for reading the latest installment of Schism.  Things go even deeper in the next chapters as we see the return of Dr. Westen and then Harold...so stay tuned!  Please check out my website for more info... www.bruce-elgin.com  and thanks to all for your votes and comments!  They are wonderful to read!  Talk to you all soon!)