Chapter 30 part 2

No.  This will not help.  She still needs you, The Advisor said as William walked down the street.

The voices hadn't stopped their chorus of protests since he'd left Bryan sitting on the sidewalk.  They wanted him far away from where he was going, but he didn't care.

She is important.  You need to show her, The Advisor said

She needs your help, The Caretaker said.  You could die here.

The Hunter had grown silent, eyes scanning the buildings ahead.

"You said this morning they had children, that they would hurt them.  Don't they matter?" he asked.

Without her, they will not survive anyway, The Advisor said.

More of their cryptic bullshit.  He had criticized Bryan for not knowing what was going on, but William knew little himself.  The voices had always been that way.  The flash of broader knowledge they had showed him was too large to comprehend, but they could at least give him some context and explanation.

This is too dangerous, The Hunter said.

The Advisor stopped in front of him.  The other one is there, the fire starter.

William walked through him.  "Good.  I'll get him now."

No, The Hunter said.

He might kill you, The Caretaker tried to stop him as well.

"That doesn't sound so bad either."

The voices were all silent for a moment.  William continued walking.  He was glad for a moment of quiet.  He let the fog push his feelings further away.  He had been stupid to trust the detective.  He had known better, but that didn't help the pain.  The fog did.

They have people watching for you, The Advisor said.

The Hunter pointed ahead.  In those buildings, up there.

William nodded at them and followed The Hunter to the next trap.

 *

(Author’s note: The moment of truth for Bryan and William…what do you think?  Which one of them belongs with Jess now?  And…what exactly is this second trap that William is walking into?  Read on and see!)