"You are very confusing." He stated.

"Gee, thanks." I stated dryly.

"I am just trying to understand. You said you do not want to be my room mate, I assumed you meant I had been causing you enough grief, and that you wanted someone else. I feel bad because of this. Is this not true?" He spoke very matter-of-factly, and it almost hurt to hear him talk like this. Like I was just trying to pry out emotions out of someone who felt nothing for me.

"No. It's not true." I responded. I looked at my hands in my lap. He let us be quiet for a minute, and stared out at the view.

Come on Naomi. Think. It's not rocket science. How do I express myself in a way that an alien will understand? I bit my lip again. You want Vree to confess to you. You wanted him to like you. Maybe love you even. You're fine with making children with him and living with him.

Why?

Why. . .

I felt my heart stutter in my chest. I knew why. I always thought maybe It'd come to this, but I pushed it down.

I gathered up all my courage. Despite everything I've been through, all the exhaustion, fatigue, confusion, sadness, and anger. After being essentially legally kidnapped or handed over by my government, losing everyone I loved, losing my cat, seeing people die in front of me, being forced to live with a strange alien man, being told I'd be going to another planet. After all of that, somehow telling another person how you felt seemed to be the hardest task.

"I don't want to be just room mates." I continued softly. "And I know that maybe this isn't realistic for you. And that maybe you might not feel the same way. But somehow I was expecting more." I let the words come out slowly and surely, "Because somehow, after everything. I like you. A lot. I don't know why. We fight a lot and I cry a lot. There are a lot of differences between us. I know how you feel about my people so I can only assume how you feel about me. I know you hate us. I know you hated me. Somehow I like you and somehow I feel like maybe that feeling can turn into something more. I think I was just upset, because in my head at least, I could see myself having your alien baby, and us going to your planet, and living together in your alien planet and maybe I can go surfing on your alien beaches while you build sand castles with the hybrid alien kids. Sort of like a family. A weird, fucked up, alien family. Maybe. I don't. . .I don't know. It . . .it feels really dumb now that I'm blabbering. I like you a lot. I'm weirdly attracted to you. I know we've had bad moments but we've had good moments too. . . I. . . I like you. Maybe I could love you even. I think I'm getting there. I think I was just disappointed that you didn't feel the same. This is all duty to you and nothing more. I think I just let myself be fooled into believing in fairytales. I like you, Vree." I confessed, then paused. "I think I could love you if I wasn't too scared."

I nervously tucked some hair behind my ear and waited for his response. I was never a self supporter, so my internal monologue was a means of bracing myself. Does he even feel love?He's gonna reject you.He's gonna reject you. He's gonna reject you. He doesn't like humans Naomi. Don't be crazy. He has no reason to like you. All you do is cry. Aliens don't love the same way humans love. He probably has no idea what the hell you're talking about. He's gonna reject you. But hey on the bright side I'm pretty sure there are tons of Frivrok bachelors just waiting for you. But I don't want another Frivrok. Okay well, you're gonna have to deal. But-

"I do not hate you Naomi." His voice was soft.

I burst out laughing, then covered my mouth and tried to stop myself, the laughter subsiding. I looked at him, and saw he was frowning, but his cheeks were tinted pink. "Sorry. Inappropriate laughter, I know." That's just not what I was expecting. Again. Damn, maybe I should lower my expectations.