eight |

I found myself sitting next to a group of girls that chatted amongst themselves. I gazed around the large room, mostly looking outside, literally staring off into space.

My attention jolted when I heard someone call my name. I saw Julie eagerly making her way to me after finishing a conversation with some other girls. 

"I saw you and your man! Are you two happy now?" She asked as she sat down next to me.

I gave a shrug, then showed her my arm. The bruise was obvious. Her eyes grew wide and she gripped my hand, her eyebrows narrowing with fury, "He hit you?!" She hissed under a whisper.

I shook my head, and snatched my hand back to cover the bruise, "God- no. I- He just gripped me too hard." I bit my lip, "He apologized. . . I think he feels really bad. . ." 

She stuck her underlip out in a huff as if unhappy with the situation, "Good. He should feel bad." She muttered some french under her breath as she looked aside, the words none too friendly. 

"Friends of Earth." A strong voice said from the end of the long table. There stood an older Frivrok woman, with her angular face and athletic build. Her hair fell down to her waist in a thick braid. It was an obvious shade of platinum blonde that seamlessly blended into her white hairs.

"I welcome and thank you all for coming. I am Stival Foy Ka'Kek Sakozi." Her accent was thick and guttural like all the Frivrok, but something about the way she spoke was tempered with gentleness by time. 

She continued, "We have gathered today to see how you've all been. Solhelk and I wish to share more on your importance here." 

Solhelk stepped beside her, "Yes." He nodded with a smile, "We acknowledge there may still be uneasiness amongst you being here, and we recognize the unfairness in what your people did to you by forcing you to be here. As stated before, this was not our plan. .  . Rest assured, we will take care of you. We cannot express how essential each of you are to the future of our species, with your participation here, we are forever grateful."

He paused, it was true, there were still many girls on board this ship who didn't wish to be here. I looked around at the faces that cast down, looking at their laps, or the faces contorted in annoyance. 

Solhelk continued, "Troev riuko rii'vri troēok tragritrovri, ētro ēsoh ka uddēkiktro." He smiled, then clarified, "The way we've tied together. . . it is no accident. We leave the past behind and focus on this moment, and our reason for being here. I know each of you can keep an open mind." 

Stival nodded in agreement, then changed route, "It has been unclear as to why our female population is small." She went onto explaining that Frivrok women had a harder time getting pregnant, and typically only birthed one to two children in their lifetimes. 

"It is necessary you and your partner create life. There has been research and discovery that Frivrok and Human have a much higher success than the traditional Frivrok and Frivrok." She ended her talk with reminding us how important we are. She also said something along the lines of how true love wasn't real, and that it was a human construct, and that anyone can love anyone given the correct time and relationship building. 

How romantic. 

From down the table, a girl with black hair in a knot pulled back behind her head rose her hand. The Frivrok woman looked confused at first, but then inquired, "You have something to ask?" 

"Do you know why Frivrok and Humans are more successful at creating a child? We're two completely different species, aren't we?" She held the woman's gaze.