(A Brief) History of the City

-Year 0

In the City, the calendar starts at 0.

That's the year the Gloam was first sighted. History has not recorded exactly where it was sighted, not even the direction it came from relative to the City.

A lack of foresight on the part of the refugees running for their lives.

-Year 28

Year 28 is the year the Crafters created the Bore, and the Spire.

There is very little recorded during the period between year 0 and year 28. There is some first hand testimony of the fall of the Hall of Candlelight. A lot of third-hand accounts of refugees travelling, most of whom suggest travelling south and east.

Early in year 28, more carefully documented, is a Crafter team with a device similar to a reservoir, only advanced to a degree even modern Crafters have not replicated, detonated the device into the ground, and assisted it in delving over thirty-seven miles into the earth.

Every Crafter that wasn't immediately killed by the effort, or the resulting explosion, were killed as a precaution.

The Gloam took three more years to reach the City. In that time, over a hundred-thousand people gathered, and a line of torches drawn to maintain the barrier against the Gloam.

Other enterprising individuals established the Seed Bank in those three years, harvesting every form of plant they could find and putting the seeds into storage until it was safe to share them.

-Year 31

The year the Siege began.

At this point, the Gloam surrounded the City. All of the land to live on and grow on, and all of the people left in the world, are harboured within the City.

-Year 52

The Frivolous Parliament

Two decades of rationing and bare subsistence, slowly and carefully expanding the lines of torches that hold back the Gloam, the City's government finds itself debating what to do with unused surplus foods. Elders in the City, with more perspective than many, declare a month of celebration for finally having too much food.

-Year 146

The Maester Rebellion

The Maesters, the Craft-gifted rulers of the world before the Gloam, eventually rebel against the City and attempt to install themselves as rulers. After nine months, the Maesters leave, with nearly a quarter of the City's population in tow. The Crafters, despite opposing the Maesters, are kept in isolation, effectively imprisoned.

-Year 151

The First Invasion

The fire lines warding the Gloam go out, and hordes of Gloamtaken, animated dead, swarm the City. The Crafters are released, and eventually drive the Gloamtaken out of the City. Walls are built after this point.

-Year 202

The Second Invasion

The first Golem appears.

-Year 238

The Third Invasion

-Year 299

The Fourth Invasion

-Year 355

The Fifth Invasion

-Year 397

Events of 'Burning Night'

-Year 403

Events of 'The Dragon Chase'

-Year 405

Events of 'Bitter Cold Truth'